To “The Rooftop of The World” for Ibex in Tajikistan

Nice! My buddy was there a month or so ago and killed a giant, he’s trying to get me to go with him next year. This might convince me.

You can post all the pictures of mountains you want, but start showing the people and the food, and it really stirs the emotions and memories of being in Kyrgyzstan (not for hunting) a couple of years ago. We crossed into Tajikistan for about 5 minutes on two occasions, but that section of border is not the most stable, so we were mostly glad to stay with our friends on the Kyrgyz side.

QQ

Tajikistan, Marco polo, and ibex have been at the top of my list since the first time my grandpa told me the story about his hunt there.

Thank you for sharing your hunt!!! Just getting to the hunting area is an adventure in itself. Can't wait to hear about the hunt!

We hiked up a drainage behind camp for most of the day. By earlier afternoon it was starting to open into a bit wider valley.

It is very steep on both sides. The rangers tell us to always be watching above for rock fall.
Using a large rock for shelter, we stopped and had a “fast lunch”.
I learned that any lunch that doesn’t entail pulling an entire tea pot out of a potato sacks and starting a fire is a fast one.

We were back on our feet and making our way up the drainage.
It was clear that the higher mountains above us were snowy or icy, but they were shrouded and fog, making it hard to tell just how large they truly are

Looking at a map, I knew they were big, because the Franchenko glacier, one of the largest in the world and Ismoili Somoni Peak, reaching 24,500+ feet are nearby.

As we worked our way up the basin we would stop to glass. The rangers would occasionally say “eeeebex not eye-bex” and motion ‘small’ with their hands to indicate they saw Nannies/kids or small billies.

IMG_3497.jpeg
IMG_3495.jpeg

At one point when we were stopped to glass, I made the mistake of getting out of the bottom where I was concealed by a steep bank to go up the bank to get a better view. A group of nearby Ibex were peaking over a ridge and caught site of me.
They did not hang around. As they went up the hill at 850 yards, and out of sight, with one shooter in the group, I was sure kicking myself for being so careless.
The rangers didn’t seem too bothered by this and assured us that there would be more EYEbex and less eeeebex as we got higher.

Up we go as the rain and snow start to fall.

Last edited:
As we get to the snow line, we stop and begin to glass. One of the rangers moves over to an adjacent finger ridge to get a look around the corner and up the mountain. It isn’t long before he is motioning us over to him.

Ibex. “Eye-Bex” he says. Meaning there are shooters in the group.

IMG_3808.png

We estimate that it would take 3 hours to get in position of these Ibex.
But there is only 2 hours of daylight left.

For about half an hour we watch them, then begrudgingly make our way back to camp. The rangers talk of an early start to get on the ibex in the morning.
The rain and snow picks up.
An inreach forecast predicts a wet night and a wet following day.
Sounds like a good day to get some rest and get rid of the jet lag. But if the forecast is wrong, we’ll be after the Ibex first thing.

Was there last November in the Pamirs, what an adventure. Can’t wait to continue following along, looks like you were after the Bukharan ibex.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLS
Back