To illuminate or not

Illumination

• Total voters

mxracer317

Looking at picking up a new scope. In the past I've used Leupold's fire dot. Wondering who like illumination for western big game hunting?

Never used one,always traditional.
I had the same question for a long time.
Would like to know mostly if your focus changes.
In low light conditions would probably help.
And hope someone makes some comments about accuracy.
And how it affects your focus after the shot.

I bought a Firedot VX5; never used it, as my daughter swiped it and the rifle it was mounted on 🤣.

I did get a Tract 3-15x44 FFP illuminated and I really like it.

You can turn the illumination up or down, and since only one eye is affected, there should be no loss of focus.

I really prefer the leupold dot, which I'm pretty sure they don't even make anymore. I looked through a firedot and didn't hate it, but never have shot one.

I wish Leupold would do one of two things:

1. Drop all the bullchit fancy/gimmicky reticle nonsense. About the only standard reticle they offer is a duplex, the rest are a cluttered up fuggin' mess. Look at this crap...like looking at a Christmas tree through a toilet paper roll. Seriously, who buys most of that crap?

2. Open their custom shop back up so a person could put the reticles, turrets, etc. on the scopes they want. Would also be nice if they weren't like Kmart and rather than fixing the scopes I have, just send me a new one. People want their original scopes back for a variety of reasons, just fix them, FFS. If I wanted to burn through disposal scopes every year or two, I'd just buy vortex and call it good.

Hey Leupold, how about start catering to hunters instead of the wannabe snipers?

Last edited:
I've always used tactical red dots and swear by them. When I use scopes without illumination I just feel unnatural like something is missing.
I find the red dot on rifle scopes helps me with faster target acquisition and tracking. But in hunting shouldn't really be worried about target tracking

Have a bunch of scopes with illumination. Couldn’t tell you if they have working batteries in them because I never use it.

With certain reticles that are lacking in low light it can definitely help. Just seems that the one scope I hunt with where I’d use it (swfa 3-9 SS) doesn’t have it.

I just ordered a new mark 4 2.5-10 ffp from schmaltz and elected to go non illum. Hoping the reticle is plenty thick that I wouldn’t use it anyway.

My thoughts on illumination are such.

If it's dark enough that you need the reticle in your scope illuminated, then it's too dark to adequately identify your target.
Much less what is behind it.

Another animal walk behind it?

Another hunter you didn't see?

Illuminated reticles don’t illuminate the image. Maybe you’re talking about hunter ethics. Will hunters take riskier shots? I haven’t… it helps me focus.

Do you support use of fiber optic sights on bows?

We should be following the laws no matter the tech.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozarkhuntress
Back