PEAX Equipment

The verdict is in...

Boat is a hole in the water you throw money in. Wouldn't trade my boat for anything!

Sure are fun until they begin to break down...

My understanding, the word "Boat" was "BOAFT" the watercraft market lobbied for the name change. Concerned that "Break Out Another Few Thousand" might hinder sales. "Few" is the selective uncensored version.

Spent $3.5k storing, winterizing, repairing the busted skag, replacing the bent prop shaft and s.s. propeller, hmmm what else(?) oh, yes, an unexpected "summarizing" additional fee.

Never going "there" again.

Well it's not as bad as I built it up to be, thankfully.

The boat gets up on plane and tops out around 30-34 mph with 2 people in it, has an issue not sucking fuel intermittently and makes a bit of a racket with the rods. Clearly a tired motor and likely not going to last much longer, but I should be ok on inland lakes until I get a new motor.

So that's a relief. Now to remove the whale tail and try to enjoy some time on the water before the next chapter of "WTF is wrong now?"

The boat gets up on plane and tops out around 30-34 mph with 2 people in it, has an issue not sucking fuel intermittently and makes a bit of a racket with the rods. Clearly a tired motor and likely not going to last much longer, but I should be ok on inland lakes until I get a new motor.

So that's a relief. Now to remove the whale tail and try to enjoy some time on the water before the next chapter of "WTF is wrong now?"
We will expect an update on Monday.
I would put that boat up for sale and sell it to the next sucker. You live in Michigan, so it should be easy.

Tiller or steering wheel. If it’s a wheel you almost have to go with the same brand as the previous or you’ll need new linkage which will add a couple thousand.

Now I'm remembering my skag has a little wave in it that I need to try and correct, and need my prop touched up due to a couple blemishes thanks to previous owner. I want (not need) to get a couple graphs and FFS. Also, the trailer surge brakes squeak like a MOFO, but I just roll up my window when I back it up and try not to remember..... I do love my boat though.

All of my boat motor issues have been with used motors. I'm finally learning in my old (er) age to just buy new, it only hurts once instead of every boating season.

We will expect an update on Monday.
I would put that boat up for sale and sell it to the next sucker. You live in Michigan, so it should be easy.

The hull and everything else is solid. It just needs to be repowered.

I’m in the market for a new motor too. I’m looking for a 135-150hp. Currently have a an Evinrude ( that meme hurts, @Keep on) but since they went out of business I’d like to repower to a different brand.

Tiller or steering wheel. If it’s a wheel you almost have to go with the same brand as the previous or you’ll need new linkage which will add a couple thousand.

Steering, side console. Likely sticking with a Merc.

Honda & Yam are on the menu if the price is right, even with the new controls.

The only 2 good days to be a boat owner are the day you buy it and the day you sell it
I must be doing it wrong. Really happy with my old boat I rebuilt and repowered.
IMG_1935.jpegIMG_2761.jpegIMG_0567.jpeg

My old boat came with an equally old 2-stroke johnny. It ran but was a pain to work on and dial in. I looked at buying a newer used motor but the prices were too close to just buying new. Ended up with a brand new merc and love it. No different than hoping in my truck and turning the key - fires up and you're off. Price tag stung a bit, but I figure theres 20 years of fun to be had and I know the motors history. I can do basic maintenance and the boat being rebuilt gives a very reliable, safe, fun platform for years to come.
IMG_4651.jpegIMG_4912.jpeg

I’m in the market for a new motor too. I’m looking for a 135-150hp. Currently have a an Evinrude ( that meme hurts, @Keep on) but since they went out of business I’d like to repower to a different brand.
I'm in the same sad boat as you. My 90 Etech has been trouble for years. Worth nothing now, I will pay off the truck by fall and hopefully will be getting a new Suzuki or Yamaha next year.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jg722
Back