The verdict is in...

Ben Lamb

The service shop called and it's bad news. The motor on the new-to-me boat is crap. Old 2-stroke that looks great, but is worn out. Shop says the cost to rebuild puts me into a used 4-stroke, so here we go.

Anybody got any good leads on a less-than-market price 75 hp 4 stroke?

$*)Q!#@$ boats.

The service shop called and it's bad news. The motor on the new-to-me boat is crap. Old 2-stroke that looks great, but is worn out. Shop says the cost to rebuild puts me into a used 4-stroke, so here we go.

Anybody got any good leads on a less-than-market price 75 hp 4 stroke?

$*)Q!#@$ boats.
I thought you were starting another thread about your boy Trump.😉

Sucks about the motor. My dad is going through a similar situation with an Evinrude on his 05 Ranger. Since they went of business you can’t find parts and nobody will work on one. He’s leaning towards biting the bullet and putting a new Yamaha on it.

Don’t feel bad, same thing happened to me in 2021 when I bought an old duck boat with a late 90’s Evinrude 40 Horse for cheap. Motor ran fine on muffs but wasn’t worth a damn. Mechanic told me it was crap and I ended up spending twice the amount of the boat and old motor on a new motor. That thing was a money pit. Did manage to kill a few ducks out of it. I did learn a fair amount about what to look for in used outboards by talking to that crusty old boat mechanic in Cal City IL.

That you were able to find a worn-out two stroke is a sign. Get out now. Use guide's boats instead. Keep a kayak for in between times.

I was explaining this to my wife last night. She would like me to get another boat. I was headed home from a carefree, fun evening flyfishing from a kayak. Too convenient and too cheap to ignore. And I've got a couple charters booked next month.

As for boats - it's always something. I have lived the old saying several times - the best two days of owning a boat are the day you buy it and the day you sell it.
"They" are wrong! Don't let the muggles get you down Ben (and disregard that this boat has no motor to break, lol).

IMG_3611.jpg

I just had to eat a $700 tab for my trolling motor. Love my boat, but man they can be a pain.

I've had a lot of luck finding good used items on private facebook groups geared towards walleye fishing.

Good luck!

If you're handy enough, you can maintain that engine yourself!

I can do some things, but rebuilding a motor is outside my skillset and patience level.
I just had to eat a $700 tab for my trolling motor. Love my boat, but man they can be a pain.

I've had a lot of luck finding good used items on private facebook groups geared towards walleye fishing.

Good luck!

Yeah, the boat came from a private sale, as did the graphs. I had to send a graph back to humminbird to get serviced since it wouldn't display. Now the engine is kaput.

I did order a bimini from National Cover. Never do that. They are the worst people to deal with if you have to make adjustments, etc to your order.

In general, I'm getting the understanding that boat people aren't trustworthy in any sense of the word.

That you were able to find a worn-out two stroke is a sign. Get out now. Use guide's boats instead. Keep a kayak for in between times.

I was explaining this to my wife last night. She would like me to get another boat. I was headed home from a carefree, fun evening flyfishing from a kayak. Too convenient and too cheap to ignore. And I've got a couple charters booked next month.
Amen! I rent boats and own kayaks it's the way to go.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PrestonThayne
Back