The 8 Year Wait...

We got a little weather and I was able to sneak away for a quick 2.5 day hunt the last weekend of archery. Saw 30+ bucks, nothing special but some good ones. I’m used to seeing anywhere from 4-8 bucks in a hard day of hunting in the areas I regularly hunt and I usually don’t even consider looking for deer till mid-November.

IMG_4131.jpeg

IMG_4149.jpeg

IMG_4200.jpeg

I spent half days exploring areas mainly trying to find big groups of does to come back and check on once the rut starts. I’m not really concerned with where the bucks are now as I know they’ll be cruising for does the next time I’ll step foot in the unit. I saw deer from 4K-7K feet and everything in between. It’s like crack for a MD hunter, you can literally have your eye behind the glass for 10hrs a looking over new country. You’ll see different deer on the way in and a new bunch will step out of the timber when drive the road in a different direction.

There were still bucks way high up in little timber patches that would come out and feed the last 15 minutes of daylight. There was also a lot of smaller bucks with the does starting to act rutty.

I was told by a few people familiar with the unit that the rut can start early in this unit and I believe it based on what I was seeing. I think it could be a challenging hunt to find an above average deer, which I’m fine with. The fun factor is off the charts, and I think it’ll be a constant mental challenge to keep from chambering a round. I think there’s a lot of good deer in the unit and a handful of great deer. I’m hoping I can con a couple buddies into joining for my next stretch as I have 3-4 spots I want to focus in on. If get lucky with my timing and have the right combo of rut and weather I’m sure a good one will eventually show up.

IMG_4195.png
The hardest part of the hunt is you’re always wondering what’s happening in another spot while you’re trying to hunt the spot you’re at. I hunt the same square miles year after year in the areas I’m familiar with and trust it’s just a matter of time until something shows up. Being a completely new unit, it’s hard to know those little details but I think a lot of the unit is good so it’s probably not as big of a concern. I don’t know if there’s necessarily a “spot on the spot”.

I’m not the most experienced MD hunter by any stretch…But I’m certainly glad I have some experience under my belt before drawing this tag. As I settle into the tag, I’m having to pinch myself as it’s truly a OIL experience for a MD hunter. The only thing I could use more of is time to hunt it!

IMG_4213.png
IMG_4164.jpeg
IMG_4261.jpeg
IMG_4260.jpeg

IMG_4257.jpeg

IMG_4258.jpeg

Had to keep the glassers well fed.

IMG_4211.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4168.jpeg
    IMG_4168.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 31