Stuck Brass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Always
Sharpies aren't sensitive enough. We used to use a spray graphite for race engine checks. I need to get some.
I’ve had success with sharpie but You can soot it also.
How much are you bumping the shoulder when you FL size?

I agree with checking for build up if you are having alot of them stick. A good deep clean of all the components never hurts

I never felt comfortable using a candle. I really don't know exactly how much the shoulders get bumped back. I do check every single one with a case checker after sizing and after reloading. Anything wonky goes in the scrap bucket

After checking and double checking, I can't find anything. I have ordered some dry spray graphite for marking the cases. I should have it next week. I'll see if that shows up anything. I'm going to set all the nickel stuff aside for a while.

I'll stick a scope in the chamber later this morning but seeing as how it's a random issue with the nickel stuff, I'm thinking it's the random cases that are getting too weak. I know that there's some brass that my 6.5's don't like . S&B being notorious for sticking in several different guns.
My Vanguard doesnt like Hornady brass, new or once fired.

After 5 firings brass gets hard and can spring back more causing less shoulder bump which can cause sticky extraction.

I've read that nickel being harder than steel can flake off and eventually ruin dies. Can't prove it by me tho. Nickel ammo is slippery-er than brass and is easier to drop esp. if you're in a hurry. Just use your newest cases for hunting.

Have you tried asking the folks at Federal?

I just don’t know because you say nothing has changed in the recipe. Suppose next you could try new nickel plated brass with all same load, gun. If that works then there you go! Might be a four reload case limit. Those 165 Partitions you sent are smokin in 30-06!
IMG_1750.jpeg

I have no solution for your problem, but I am taking advantage of this discussion to say that one item everyone should have in their range bag is a paint can opener. They clear stuck cases really well. We used to dummy cord one to our vests in Iraq for that reason.

I have no solution for your problem, but I am taking advantage of this discussion to say that one item everyone should have in their range bag is a paint can opener. They clear stuck cases really well. We used to dummy cord one to our vests in Iraq for that reason.
Please 'splain the use of a paint can opener for those of us who are under - educated.

I just don’t know because you say nothing has changed in the recipe. Suppose next you could try new nickel plated brass with all same load, gun. If that works then there you go! Might be a four reload case limit. Those 165 Partitions you sent are smokin in 30-06!
View attachment 335123
I'm glad that they worked out. I didn't have any use for them!
I don't have new nickel cases but I guess I have a few that are worn out.

I'm sitting there eating my lunch, minding my own business and my other half hollers "smoke" the same time the Watch Duty app goes off. SHIT, it's a neighbor 1/2 mile away. So much for lunch. I blasted over with a dozer right down the county road. I got a break cut around the east side. After a bit the Cal Fire dozer get there and I'm heading home. I took these when I got back. You can see my dozer line around the fire. I'm too old for this crap.IMG_20240803_133606206.jpgIMG_20240803_133917144.jpgIMG_20240803_133754574.jpg

A couple things may help here. 1st nickel coated brass doesn't like to size well. A bit more stiff so necks tend to crack easy. Anneal is going to be very helpful with nickel I do mine every other sizing. Also verify in ammo checker not case head gauge checker. May need to readjust your sizing die. I enjoy the looks of nickel brass also. Just not the best for reloading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
SITKA Gear Optifade Cover

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacksoncsalmon
Back