Small white things in moose meat?

huntin24/7

I’m cutting up a young bull moose right now and noticing small white kinda gooey things in the meat. Not all over but finding them here and there. I did some searching and it sounded like something called moose measles(some type of worm). Articles said it’s one thing that can’t be transferred to humans. My only real concern is for roasts and steaks as we like our red meat much more on the rare side. Thoughts?

Hedgehog is correct tapeworm larvae.
Found them in deer and elk also. Years ago game and fish biologist said to freeze and cook. For your own piece of mind I would call your local biologist and talk to them.

What happened to @huntingwife? She was the go-to on this kind of stuff.
Seems like she left not that long after Europe passed away. Same with Panda(?) and some of the other women. I'm not sure of the timeline for sure, but seems like several left at once. I know they had expressed some disappointment with certain threads/posts around here about women, but who knows what may have pushed them to leave.

Thanks guys. I’ve done one front shoulder and one hindquarter so far. Only one in the hind quarter and a decent amount in the shoulder. Sounds like the meat is fine to eat, but I don’t feel comfortable eating it or feeding to my family not cooked to a higher temp so looks like backstraps and t loin will be burger too unfortunately. At least it can be eaten.

Thanks guys. I’ve done one front shoulder and one hindquarter so far. Only one in the hind quarter and a decent amount in the shoulder. Sounds like the meat is fine to eat, but I don’t feel comfortable eating it or feeding to my family not cooked to a higher temp so looks like backstraps and t loin will be burger too unfortunately. At least it can be eaten.
Every moose I've killed has them, and everyone I helped butcher also had them. I'd guess at least half the caribou (maybe all of them). Never seen them in sheep.

Freezing them kills them, and humans are not a host. Don't feed fresh scraps to your dogs, they'll get the tape worm.

Here's one I picked out a couple weeks ago. The piece of meat became jerky and wasn't even cooked. :D

Most people would barf if they saw the amount of worms I've picked out of fish. Had some halibut the other day, one piece that was the size of my palm, I probably popped out 40 worms. I was getting discouraged as the meat to worm ratio was getting pretty high, and the yield was decreasing. My wife didn't know any different though. :D

1727905402351.png

Every moose I've killed has them, and everyone I helped butcher also had them. I'd guess at least half the caribou (maybe all of them). Never seen them in sheep.

Freezing them kills them, and humans are not a host. Don't feed fresh scraps to your dogs, they'll get the tape worm.

Here's one I picked out a couple weeks ago. The piece of meat became jerky and wasn't even cooked. :D

Most people would barf if they saw the amount of worms I've picked out of fish. Had some halibut the other day, one piece that was the size of my palm, I probably popped out 40 worms. I was getting discouraged as the meat to worm ratio was getting pretty high, and the yield was decreasing. My wife didn't know any different though. :D

View attachment 343054
Thanks. Good to know. That’s exactly what they are. Do you grill and eat moose backstraps/tenderloin rare or medium rare if the moose has them? I just can’t stand well done wild game or beef steaks.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rwink3
Back