sighting in at a low elevation for a higher elevation hunt

As others have mentioned, check your zero.
If you have the opportunity, take a few longer shots when you're at elevation.
Close in, your zero might not be that different. At longer ranges is where the difference will be.

Also, don't use a CDS dial.
It will match up at your 1,000ft elevation, but not at 7,000.
If you need to get a MOA or MIL reticle.
They are always MOA or MIL.
That's a good point. I didn't think about the CDS being a little different at different elevations. Can anyone share their experience with those?

That's a good point. I didn't think about the CDS being a little different at different elevations. Can anyone share their experience with those?
It's calibrated for one velocity and one density altitude value. When elevation and velocity (often due to temperature or level of barrel fouling) change, the data changes.

For the OP, i doubt 100 yard zero changes enough to detect between sea level and 8000'. @ 300 yards you're probably one click (0.25 MOA, or 0.1 mil) different for elevation corrections. It makes a bigger deal when ranges get longer. It's sad someone at Nosler that's supposed to be educating people on ballistics would say a clean miss on a big bear @ 200 yards could be attributed to such a change in elevation.

Last edited:
I had something similar happen in May. Rifle was spot on in MI, but was all over the place in MT. Wood swell & not enough time behind the trigger were my issues. It's caused me to question my marksmanship and get back to some fundamentals.
Wistful boast & humble veritas...

I've never had an issue with holdover or spinning a dial going from 800 to 8-9000....out to 400-530 yards. Did almost shoot over @80 yards.

*edit to add: Ballistic rangefinder, always.

Last edited:
I lived at sea level & hunted above 7500 regularly.
I checked a few times after getting to the cabin. Never far off.
200 yrd zero. 30-06 165 1 3/4 high @ 100.

I have found not accounting for drop or rise enough on unlevel ground to be a larger factor. Even slightly it makes a difference.IMHO

Temp and elevation have a huge affect on your bullets path. Do you currently use a CDS dial?

Any difference in POI between low and high elevation would be so miniscule that the difference is most likely cause by the shooter.
And I reiterate this is at "normal" shooting ranges.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishonfleek
Back