Kenetrek Boots

Short 7mm-08 barrel length?

Gojo03

I’m taking a 24” 7mm-08 to the Dr tomorrow for a cut and threading and I’m trying to decide on barrel length. I’m planning on using this at short ranges in tight trees but don’t want to limit myself too much. So, what’s the shortest length you can still get decent performance from the old 7HT?

Another vote for 20

I use mine for the same thing. I have an 18 and a 20, no performance issues with either but the muzzle blast sucks.

Do you have a bullet in mind?

I’ll be running a can and probably loading up something in the 120’s to keep the velocity up

I'd vote for 20, but I do have a .30-06 that is cut to 19" and I've never had cause to wish it were longer... Make sure you know what lengths are legal in your state. I think under 18" is considered a pistol in my state.

I have a 20” 7-08. No complaints there on performance. But with a suppressor I would probably go 18” or maybe even shorter. I would figure out what I wanted my overall length to be and just try to find a compromise between that and velocity.

I would like it as sort as possible without completely neutering the capabilities.

My 20 inch model 7 works fine--the 08 doesn't need longer barrels to perform but be sure to think about balance and how well you can shoot it offhand. It will kill to 300 (not that I will ever need that here) but I find I need a rest even at 100 with it, it's light and whippy. Great to carry though!

Sometimes shorter barrels don't affect performance enough to matter out a long ways but they sure can affect whether you can shoot it as accurately offhand without a rest. And keep in mind that can be important even for something as big as an elk at close range in timber. Kill zone might be big but the hole you have to shot through might not be.

I dropped it off and decided on 16.5. I’ll see what the velocities look like when u get it back. Should be fine for most the areas I shoot and I have plenty other options if I feel the need for more. Thanks for the opinions!
Figure on 20-25fps/inch.

I had a 7mm-08 with a 20 inch barrel. It was too short for me. I wish I had gotten a 22 inch barrel. However, I didn’t use it with a suppressor. I felt the 20 inch barrel really limited the potential of the round. JMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jachanzar91
Back