Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Short 7mm-08 barrel length?

At short distances in the timber I think you'd be fine with 16-18". I have a 45/70 that I chopped the barrel down to 17 for the same type of thing and I really like it.

Question--I am assuming you aren't often taking a rest of any kind when hunting elk in dark timber at close range, right?

Again, think it's important to consider balance. If it's standing in the open you can wobble a bit and it doesn't matter. If not, it's pretty easy to shoot a limb or tree or get deflected by them if you can't hold it very steady.

Both Remington in their wood model 7's for a bit and Ruger made short 16 inch bolts and while they are just the thing for crawling through brush and timber I challenge folks to hold the crosshairs steady when trying to hit through a softball sized opening some dozens of yards away.

Sometimes shorter barrels don't affect performance enough to matter out a long ways but they sure can affect whether you can shoot it as accurately offhand without a rest. And keep in mind that can be important even for something as big as an elk at close range in timber. Kill zone might be big but the hole you have to shot through might not be.

Are you saying that the shorter barrels are less accurate than a longer barrel?

He's saying that rifles with shorter overall length can tend to be more difficult to aim offhand. I agree. I've got a Model 7 in 7MM-08 with an 18" barrel and the gun shoots well overall, but offhand it can be difficult to aim as the short/compact build can sway or drift a little bit. Just balances differently than a longer gun. I don't think he is saying the barrel overall is less accurate.

I have and load for a couple of Remington Model Sevens with 20” barrels. I’m getting 2850 fps with 140 grain Accubonds and 3000 fps with 120 grain NBTs.

The Model Sevens are well balanced and make for great shooting little rifles.

I picked it up yesterday but won’t be able to hit the range for a few weeks. Still waiting on parts to come in to finish the build. Looks like it gonna be an awesome setup for tight areas! Was getting close to 2900fps yesterday with my daughter’s rifle that has a 20” barrel. So hopefully 2800ish

Wait...

24" is too long for "tight woods".
So you're looking to cut 4" off and screw a 6-8" can on it thinking it will make it better??

I'd cut it to 20" and leave the can at home.

While you're at it, check the LOP on the stock ( wearing whatever clothing that you wear while hunting) and possibly shorten it.

I have 2 other rifles at 24”, another one at 20” and now this one at 16.5. I plan on using this in tree stands and ground blinds where i’m not going to have long shots. So yes, 24” plus the can is a little much.

I have enough issues with my hearing that I’m going to take the silencer with me as much as I can.

The stock is being replaced with a chassis that has a folding stock with adjustable LoP. That shouldn’t be an issue.

Last edited:
I have 2 identical Savages in 260rem. They were both 22" to start, and I load 123 Absolute Hammers for both. I had one cut back to 16" for my nieces and nephews to hunt suppressed with. The difference in velocity was about 150fps, I'd think you would see similar performance with 7-08.

I sold my 7mm-08 after my son grew out of it. I wanted to love it but the max I could get was just shy of 2700 FPS with the 20 inch barrel. I know guys are getting close, if not over, 2900. We have a 257 Weatherby now and are building a 280 AI. These two rifles cover all our hunting needs for now… I really liked the 7mm-08 but could get it close to where I wanted it. Best of luck with yours.

No, at least not in 7mm-08. But most really short barreled guns aren't easy to shoot offhand and accuracy can suffer if you can't take a good rest ..not the fault of the gun, it's just harder to keep them steady.

OP mentioned timber hunting elk, so I was assuming a rest wouldn't always be available.

I have and load for a couple of Remington Model Sevens with 20” barrels. I’m getting 2850 fps with 140 grain Accubonds and 3000 fps with 120 grain NBTs.

The Model Sevens are well balanced and make for great shooting little rifles.
Have to define which vintage model 7. I think newer CDLs have 20 inch barrels and my 90s stainless synthetic does too, but earlier wood models had 18s...really nice to carry but harder to shoot well without a rest IMO.

No, at least not in 7mm-08. But most really short barreled guns aren't easy to shoot offhand and accuracy can suffer if you can't take a good rest ..not the fault of the gun, it's just harder to keep them steady.

OP mentioned timber hunting elk, so I was assuming a rest wouldn't always be available.
Never said elk lol. We have whitetail and hogs. If I were going out west for elk I would definitely take something else. This is going to be in more ground blinds and tree stands for the little SE deers LoL. I usually have a rest or shooting sticks

Personally I think that has to do more with weight than length but I see what you’re saying

Have to define which vintage model 7. I think newer CDLs have 20 inch barrels and my 90s stainless synthetic does too, but earlier wood models had 18s...really nice to carry but harder to shoot well without a rest IMO.
I said 20” barrel in my post. I’m about to start loading for an 18.5” barreled one. None of them have Model 7 written on them. 😉

Finally made it to the range today. Velocities averaged around 2525fps on these factory Nosler 140gr BTs. I’m going to start loading for it soon but I’ll probably go through this season with these. Still shoots around an inch so hopefully I can tighten that up some with hand loads, who knows I might be able to squeeze a little more speed out of it too. Overall I’m digging it.
IMG_7509.jpeg

Advertisement

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clinebj22
Back