Shank it? or Crank it? Only the Billy knows

Alright before this thing gets going into some weird Diddy zone of the universe let's get to it.....

Full disclosure:

While I was planning on bow hunting I took a rifle as well and with the opportunity that was presented I wasn't passing it up.

About a week before the endeavor into the land of goats I took the family out for a little glassing session. My son was not upset but bummed I could tell in the fact that he wouldn't be able to come on the hunt. It would be too much for his little legs and the last thing I want to do is burn the little man out. Everyone in the family has been really excited about this opportunity and knows what this really ment to me. Having him along for the majority of this entire adventure besides the actual trip has been such a blessing and I can't wait to hopefully share these full experiences with him and my daughter in the field. 20240928_184538.jpg

I've been thinking about how to tell this story and it'll make a little more sense if I run it back a bit to say 2014....

I started to really want a new adventure and new challenge in my approach to hunting and the outdoors. I hadn't ever backpacked much or hunted really any of the higher alpine stuff when I was growing up. I had always had a burning desire to chase sheep and goats in the alpine but, we hunted elk and mountain mule deer. I never really back pack hunted at all. So when 2015 came around I decided I wanted to hunt Unlimited Sheep. Little did I know at the time, this would totally change my entire life as I knew it as a not only the hunter but my outlook and view of a lot of things in life changed as well.

The lessons learned and the friendships that have been created can all be attributed too the desire to hunt sheep and goats. The way I approach things is different, the feeling of overcoming a tough physical and mental challenge is more rewarding even if you don't come away in the end with the total prize. My friendships made through this adventure are hands down one of the greatest things that happened in my life. They've made me a better person, father, husband and hunter. They've pushed and inspired me to do more and be better. It was on full display on this trip with two absolutely incredible buddies that ultimately share the same love and passion I have for this sport. Without Andrew and Isaac this wouldn't have been. The series of events that unfolded over those 4 days in the alpine wouldn't have happened and too both of those guys I am forever indebted to them.

I've been thinking about how to tell this story and it'll make a little more sense if I run it back a bit to say 2014....

I started to really want a new adventure and new challenge in my approach to hunting and the outdoors. I hadn't ever backpacked much or hunted really any of the higher alpine stuff when I was growing up. I had always had a burning desire to chase sheep and goats in the alpine but, we hunted elk and mountain mule deer. I never really back pack hunted at all. So when 2015 came around I decided I wanted to hunt Unlimited Sheep. Little did I know at the time, this would totally change my entire life as I knew it as a not only the hunter but my outlook and view of a lot of things in life changed as well.

The lessons learned and the friendships that have been created can all be attributed too the desire to hunt sheep and goats. The way I approach things is different, the feeling of overcoming a tough physical and mental challenge is more rewarding even if you don't come away in the end with the total prize. My friendships made through this adventure are hands down one of the greatest things that happened in my life. They've made me a better person, father, husband and hunter. They've pushed and inspired me to do more and be better. It was on full display on this trip with two absolutely incredible buddies that ultimately share the same love and passion I have for this sport. Without Andrew and Isaac this wouldn't have been. The series of events that unfolded over those 4 days in the alpine wouldn't have happened and too both of those guys I am forever indebted to them.

Have you considered writing online recipes, or at least the prelude portion? :ROFLMAO:

In any event ... I'm in.

Sorry guys I had to post a few preludes for Rachel Ray Recipes and edit a story for Country Living Magazine.

In June excitement was in the air, a Beartooth Billy Bonanza was in the early stages of planning. A couple great buddies would make the drive to the Big City and we'd have dinner and beers discussing potential plans. Access routes, attacking different portions of unit. Does a guy come in from the North? East? or West? How many days? Where are the nursery zones? Where does one think the unit will hold billies? Is there an opportunity for a old mountain warrior? So together that night over a burger and some gin and tonic we begin to draft the plans for the '24 Beartooth Billy Quest.

i reach out to Shawn and we discuss the unit, talk to numerous others who've either hunted fished or backpacked the unit over the years. It kept coming back to one point though.... no one could really pinpoint where the Billy lived or where he would come from. "They are where they are" throw a dart at the map and there could very well be one right at the point of impact.... so I'd begin to breakdown the unit with the conversation of others and formulate some different plans and ideas. In which I'd put into action over the summer scouting with the family and other close friends.

About a month before the hunt I had reached out to a buddy that I've met through this site. Andrew and I over the past few seasons had talked a lot about mountain goats, hunting them, sharing adventures and stories and jokingly had always said "Hey, when you get a tag I want in on the adventure" well wouldn't you know that this would be Jonas' season to cash in his 22 Montana goat points. Without a hesitation Andrew immediately sends a text. I'm in.... just tell me when. I tell the boy that we will plan on a trip tentative of October 5 or so...... we discuss the routes I share some scouting reports, he has a great deal of knowledge of not only hunting the unit but also hunting goats in general. I believe this was his fourth straight year of accompanying other hunters on their Billy quest. Truly a great guy, as unselfish as they come and was a real pleasure to have him along.

And now you have the beginning of what is ultimately one of the greatest adventures of Jonas' hunting career......

The plan is to go in October 4th and come out the 11th or so. We've decided to head back into an area I've scouted in the summer and located a handful of Billies hanging around. Not certain to what we'd encounter or if the Billies would even still be in the general area this is where our journey would begin and if we needed to regroup or press on we would make that change in there. It held two Billies I thought that would be potential shooter goats. I've stated before that I wanted to take an old goat, the horns were not that important too me. I wanted something atleast 8 to 10 years old or better, something that looked like a white gorilla while walking across the cliffs on the mountain. This guy appeared to check those boxes for me a hundred times over.... he was at the top of the list for me. I wouldn't settle for anything less once I saw him.

Screenshot_20240825_215210_Gallery.jpg

Keeping in touch with FWP on the harvests that had taken place so far in the unit I had known that one nanny was taken by a lucky hunter on opening weekend and since that nothing has been harvested and no reports of hunters being out in the unit..... this kept some high hopes coming into the hunt. Still unsure of if the goats I'd left on the mountain over 40 days prior to this trip would be in the area or remotely even close to it. We'd take our chances....

The morning comes with high hopes and anticipations of the journey ahead probably the more so thought of how in the eff am I gonna get my fatass up 14 miles back into where I left the goats in August. One step at a time .... this is what I keep reminding myself.

First things first we gotta get there. I take the kids to school to help momma out and give them a kiss goodbye. My daughter made this for me to wear in for my trip. It's good luck she says and the little lady might be on to something....

17285105220341775345718111210807.jpg

I pickup Andrew and off we go into the sweet solitude of the Goat paradise.

20241004_124121.jpg

The pack in is..... a bitch. I did my best to try and maintain some form of level of "goat shape" it turns out I was about as in shape as a watermelon.

I packed way to much gear going in. It's been awhile since I've embarked on a backcountry backpack hunt. As I've seemed to take a liking to chasing the Prarie bulls these past few seasons. My pack is embarrassing. It's got more shit hanging off of it than a Christmas tree. It's packed to the gills. Andrew is looking at me like "Did I make a mistake?" Giving me a little ration of shit along the way. It was well deserved though on my end.

Screenshot_20241009_155752_Chrome.jpg

IMG_9526-X4.jpg

The hike is long, hot, windy AF but scenic as well. We make it in about 8.5 miles and climb 3500 ft and decide to call it for the evening and make camp. We still have a few miles to go on in the morning and some terrain to cover as well. A hot meal and a little evening glassing session was just right and what a guy needed to end day 1 on a high note.

IMG_9530-L.jpg

DSC04938-M.jpg

We're now officially Goat hunting and it's a dream come true.

Back