PEAX Equipment

Serious weed help needed.

mtmuley

I posted some years ago about a weed problem I have on my property with Buckhorn Plantain.Took some advice, spray knocked it down fairly well but I sprayed every spring, not in late Summer. Comes back with a vengeance after the hay is cut. This year is especially bad and it was sprayed this Spring. I am at my wits end. Spraying is expensive. Anyone here ever dealt with this stuff? mtmuley

I posted some years ago about a weed problem I have on my property with Buckhorn Plantain.Took some advice, spray knocked it down fairly well but I sprayed every spring, not in late Summer. Comes back with a vengeance after the hay is cut. This year is especially bad and it was sprayed this Spring. I am at my wits end. Spraying is expensive. Anyone here ever dealt with this stuff? mtmuley
Will horses eat it? Or goats?

This year is crazy bad. Neighbors on both sides are retired and have time to focus on annual weed management. I simply don't have the time or money to address things properly. Best I could do is buy a zero turn( last year) and keep the 5 acres knocked down.
Did I say this year is crazy bad? Just got back from Massachusetts, land of fertile jungle, the green was amazing. My place in Montana is a dry wasteland...except for the blasted weeds.

I’d consider calling some weed control folks. I’ve had it with mine, luckily I have a county that does weed control.

My yard is crazy bad with that stuff. I’ve dug it up and put weed and feed on it with no real result. I hate the thought of spot spraying my yard with 24d or something but may do that in the future if I could get a week or so with the dogs and kid out of the house

Reactions: Hem
My weed lady expert says this year is bad also in NW CO. Areas that I have pounded and thought I had completely under control this year now have a resurgence and she said those seeds can lay dormant for years and we have finally had decent moisture and this is not uncommon.
It gets really old/expensive and timing is critical on most of the weeds when you spray. Don't be afraid to reach out to your county contacts as many have grant funding available to assist with spraying weeds and hoppers - but you have to apply. Most of the applications come out in the spring and you are notified how much they will give you before spring gets going.

Looked up and found this on the Iowa state extension

Due to its sensitivity to 2,4-D and other growth regulator herbicides, buckhorn plantain is much less common in turf than it formerly was.

Did you try burning it down with 2,4-D?

My weed lady expert says this year is bad also in NW CO. Areas that I have pounded and thought I had completely under control this year now have a resurgence and she said those seeds can lay dormant for years and we have finally had decent moisture and this is not uncommon.
It gets really old/expensive and timing is critical on most of the weeds when you spray. Don't be afraid to reach out to your county contacts as many have grant funding available to assist with spraying weeds and hoppers - but you have to apply. Most of the applications come out in the spring and you are notified how much they will give you before spring gets going.
I'm going to call our county extension agency. I have to get rid if this stuff. mtmuley

Timing is important. 406 is on it, fall control of perennial weeds in hay fields and pastures is usually more effective. I try to spot treat my fields in fall. I only spray in summer if I have some crap come in with the water.

For control of most perennial weeds, target herbicide applications in late spring when they are flowering or in fall to new regrowth.

From https://alfalfasymposium.ucdavis.edu/+symposium/proceedings/2006/06-95.Pdf

Looked up and found this on the Iowa state extension

Due to its sensitivity to 2,4-D and other growth regulator herbicides, buckhorn plantain is much less common in turf than it formerly was.

Did you try burning it down with 2,4-D?
I hired weed control companies. Not sure what they used. Three different companies. Still have the stuff. mtmuley

Normally our broadleaf are handled when we mow our alfalfa but we get 3 to 4 cuttings every year. Our big problem the past couple years has been nutsedge.

We get it pretty bad in southern Indiana. Seems to “do well” on dry years. Probably because of ridiculous taproot it throws.

That being said, some folks say it’s not bad to have some as it has a few nutritional and medicinal benefits. Cattle seem to avoid it but horses don’t seem to mind it. Obviously, too much isn’t great.

Fall is the best time to spray it.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jg722
Back