San Diego Long Range Fishing Help

I'm afraid that they wouldn't let you on the boat with a fly rod my friend. Just talked with the charter master this afternoon, and a Tiagra 50wlrs loaded with 150lb braid and 200lb flouro topshot, with 1000 yards of line total, is standard operating procedure. There are 23 guys on this 105' boat, so flipping a fly rod around might get you thrown into the ocean. Nobody wants a hook in the eye. As Steve said, these are realy mean fish. You may have to hire your own charter captain to do that, and it may be only for 1 fisherman, you. Saltwater fish are much much more powerful than freshwater fish. No comparison. Like comparing a whitetail to a grizzly bear.
I fully understand that. Seems like most of the fly fishing is usually along the shorelines and inlets. Yea I wouldn't be trying to hook into a Yellowfin with a freaking fly rod.

I've seen a few videos of these guys with these electric reels. Seems like cheating but also looks awesome.

I fully understand that. Seems like most of the fly fishing is usually along the shorelines and inlets. Yea I wouldn't be trying to hook into a Yellowfin with a freaking fly rod.

I've seen a few videos of these guys with these electric reels. Seems like cheating but also looks awesome.
I have fished for yellowedge grouper in 525' of water here out of Ponce Inlet on the east coast of Florida. Let me tell ya, when you have to reel in a heavy 1lb jig from that depth, it gets old. Have fished for golden tiles in 600-700' of wate, near the gulf stream where the current may be running 2.5knots if youre lucky, and you have 1000-1500' of line out . Try reeling in that much line just twice and you'll understand why we use electric reels. Then put a 20-50lb grouper on the line and crank. You'll crank your balls off.

When youre fishing for nasty swordfish during the daytime, youre dropping in 1700-2000' of water. You need a Lindgren-Pittman (LP) reel.

I have fished for yellowedge grouper in 525' of water here out of Ponce Inlet on the east coast of Florida. Let me tell ya, when you have to reel in a heavy 1lb jig from that depth, it gets old. Have fished for golden tiles in 600-700' of wate, near the gulf stream where the current may be running 2.5knots if youre lucky, and you have 1000-1500' of line out . Try reeling in that much line just twice and you'll understand why we use electric reels. Then put a 20-50lb grouper on the line and crank. You'll crank your balls off.

When youre fishing for nasty swordfish during the daytime, youre dropping in 1700-2000' of water. You need a Lindgren-Pittman (LP) reel.
Sometimes when I'm on vacation fishing for bass I wouldn't mind one of those electric reels. That might be cause I'm too drunk to reel, but thats a different situation haha.

I’m currently on a 8 day long range trip with my grandpa on the excel. Two days of travel south to the first stop.

I caught 13 nice yellowfin tuna and my 81 year old grandpa caught 8-9 at the first spot. All in the 30-60 pound range. Fly lining live bait and casting jigs.

Next day was yellowtail. Size of the fish wasn’t quite as good. I battled through 30-40 small yellowtail and as the day went on the size got better.

The third day of fishing we trolled for wahoo, which was slow. I was one of the lucky ones that caught one of the 4 wahoo. Everyone said it was a great sized fish.

Today we fished yellowtail again. There was some very hot fishing at times.

We are headed back north towards San Diego. Tomorrow we have some time to check on the tuna fishing and on Saturday we may have some time to stop and fish along a beach somewhere.

Back in San Diego on Sunday morning at 8 am.

So far I can only say good things about the excel and their clients. This is the first time I’ve had any fishing like this and everyone was super helpful.

I’m currently on a 8 day long range trip with my grandpa on the excel. Two days of travel south to the first stop.

I caught 13 nice yellowfin tuna and my 81 year old grandpa caught 8-9 at the first spot. All in the 30-60 pound range. Fly lining live bait and casting jigs.

Next day was yellowtail. Size of the fish wasn’t quite as good. I battled through 30-40 small yellowtail and as the day went on the size got better.

The third day of fishing we trolled for wahoo, which was slow. I was one of the lucky ones that caught one of the 4 wahoo. Everyone said it was a great sized fish.

Today we fished yellowtail again. There was some very hot fishing at times.

We are headed back north towards San Diego. Tomorrow we have some time to check on the tuna fishing and on Saturday we may have some time to stop and fish along a beach somewhere.

Back in San Diego on Sunday morning at 8 am.

So far I can only say good things about the excel and their clients. This is the first time I’ve had any fishing like this and everyone was super helpful.
Thanks for the trip analysis. That trip will be in your memory forever. I'm very jealous. I lost my son 16 years ago to a drug overdose (heroin) and miss him dearly. He died at 25 in Denver. I was in Pittsburgh at the time. My point wasn't to elicite sympathy from anybody, but to just say, life is like a box of chocolates, ya just never know what's it's going to give ya. So cherish every moment.

Thanks for the trip analysis. That trip will be in your memory forever. I'm very jealous. I lost my son 16 years ago to a drug overdose (heroin) and miss him dearly. He died at 25 in Denver. I was in Pittsburgh at the time. My point wasn't to elicite sympathy from anybody, but to just say, life is like a box of chocolates, ya just never know what's it's going to give ya. So cherish every moment.
I’m sorry for your loss. That is terrible.

Definitely. It was hard to make it work with work and it will take away from time hunting this fall. But doing a trip like this with my grandfather has been unreal. Feels like a once in a lifetime experience

I’m sorry for your loss. That is terrible.

Definitely. It was hard to make it work with work and it will take away from time hunting this fall. But doing a trip like this with my grandfather has been unreal. Feels like a once in a lifetime experience
Life sometimes sucks the big one.
Bingo! There ya go. Did ya make sure ya took pics of the two of ya at the end of the trip holding fish?!!! Send one of the best pics and turn it into a blowup print ( say an 8"x10" framed) for the two of you, to remind ya both the the great time ya had.

Those are all great pics. Make sure when you have the last one printed that you crop out the deckhand. That way you put the focus on your grampy not the deckhand. Also crop out in the 3rd pic the other fisherman. Same reason. Ya got the blue sky in the background (adds to the pic) and also the boat with all the fishing rods. Oh yeah, the blood is also great; all the colors! And his smile is eternal!!!!! Get one real big blowup say at least 8x10 or better yet 15x18 and hve it framed for both of ya. You can thank me later LOLOLOLOL. My compliments on the pic and to the photographer

Im pretty sure I'm going to buy an Avet 80 wide 3 speed for working the kite rod with a custom rod I'll have made. Has anybody heard of problems that are cropping up with this reel? My local tackle store has been mentioning problems he has experienced. This reel has been in production a long time. Any feedback is appreciated.

I can wholeheartedly recommend the Intrepid, I just did a 1.75 day on it this past Spring targeting big bluefin tuna, boat is very, very nice and the crew genuinely friendly and helpful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishonfleek
Back