RIP Garmin Inreach … iPhones to allow satellite messages in ios18

jpcoll01

The subject says it. iPhone users will be able to send iMessages via satellite when out of service starting with IOS 18. This is a great addition to the current SOS by satellite functionality of the newer iPhones. I will more than likely be retiring my inreach.

The subject says it. iPhone users will be able to send iMessages via satellite when out of service starting with IOS 18. This is a great addition to the current SOS by satellite functionality of the newer iPhones. I will more than likely be retiring my inreach.

iPhone 14 and later. Be worth upgrading for me. About time this came to be.

Yeah, I'll wait and see how reliable it is, not going to rely on my iPhone alone for that stuff just quite yet...

you can kill this thread, its already a topic

you can kill this thread, its already a topic

Not that I’m making money on this thread or anything but this wasn’t about the emergency feature but ability to send “how are the kids doing?” From the backcountry without a $70 a month subscription.

Yeah, my argument for getting an inreach got cut down once this feature came out. Luckily I don’t really venture too far out from cell service to begin with.

Iridium Sat is the way to go- InReach. The purpose is dependability and InReach has repeatedly done this.

Now when Starlink roles out - Apple and InReach can kiss my arse. I've used Starlink for home. Once it rolls out to phone anywhere with their hundreds of low orbit sats... conversations, internet, etc, etc, etc... THAT is gold.

Starlink satellite from SpaceX with DTC will provide text, calls and video soon.

I don’t have cell service at my house except from WiFi.

I’ll start testing the Apple Satellite texting once the service is updated on my phone.

+1 on Starlink in a small form factor like a phone. I am in middle of nowhere Idaho getting 300 mbps in a tight valley/canyon/what we’d call a holler in Ky.

Wonder how much the big 3 phone companies are going to charge for this?

I pay $12.99 per month for my Inreach subscription. Worth it.
I believe we pay $24(?) and have the annual SAR Insurance. Worth every penny. Who pays $70? If anyone pays this much, I'd sure like to know the benefits. If work pays it for an employee - more power to them. guess they text a chit ton! Otherwise, why $70?
It's a sense of comfort for my wife and I when either of us go off the beaten path - mark the location and share the map to follow...

Add to that,InReach offers the ability to suspend the payment/use - if only for specific season needs. Not a bad gig.

Latest reporting on iphone/satellite communication option.

Related post:

Last edited:
MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
manbugle
Back