Ready for a new 7 mag load

Been reading some more and people sure seem to like the e-Tip bullet's. I've never used them but wouldn't try them either. Problem for me would be that tip. When it hit's, that tip has to go somewhere and that's back into the bullet. Wonder what that would do to the bullet? If I wanted to try an E-Tip I'd go with a monolithic bullet. Then, according to Winchester, the tip helps open the tip to expand. Could be a point there! I know I'd fired some Sierra match kings into newspaper years ago, from my 7x57 I think it was, 140gr bullets. They retained 100% of their weight, the bullet's bent and the hp simply closed up! I'd read several years ago about an African PH finding the original Barnes doing that sometimes. Turns a HP bullet into a solid!

If I was to swap off my Hot Core bullet's in my 6.5x06 and 6.5x55 I'd go to the Speer Grand Slam, come to think of it I think it was called a Mag Tip back then. I remember when it came out Speer showed a photo of a normal spitzer leaving the barrel of a rifle and the tip of the bullet was washed away! Left the bullet looking like a Rem core lock. But I already had good luck with the standard hot cores and I'm slow to change from something that works for me. Even today rather than go to the newer bonded bullet's in my 6.5x06 and 6.5x55 I went with the Speer HC, I know how they work and they cost less! The cost of premium bullet's floors me! I'm not rich.

Well some good news with the swifts. The spicier the load gets, the better the groups. This is with IMR4350. I flinched a bit and the wind was ripe so I bet they can group much better than this.

Time to lengthen the load?

CBTO - 2.64”

62g IMR4350

Scirocco II 150g

Remington 9/2 LRM

Peterson unfired brassIMG_0996.jpeg

Side note; this target was not scaled to size, meaning the blocks are not exactly 1" apart. It was a cheap printout from the interwebz.

Personally, I'd go to a slower burning powder.

Since it's not too likely to find Alliant.

I'd start with 4831(any flavor), Ramshot Hunter, or Magnum, Norma MRP, or Vihtavouri N550, N 560.

I'd start with 4831(any flavor), Ramshot Hunter, or Magnum, Norma MRP, or Vihtavouri N550, N 560.
I do have some 4831SC. I’ll load up a few rounds before I leave for the range today.

I think you’re onto something. I shot 5 with IMR4350 and they were awful. I shot 5 of my ol reliable H1000 on TTSX 150g. 3 of the 5 made paper but the 3 were in 1 1/4” groups. I think 4350 burns too fast and H1000 burns too slow. 4831SC might be the resolution. At least for 150g bullets

I think you’re onto something. I shot 5 with IMR4350 and they were awful. I shot 5 of my ol reliable H1000 on TTSX 150g. 3 of the 5 made paper but the 3 were in 1 1/4” groups. I think 4350 burns too fast and H1000 burns too slow. 4831SC might be the resolution. At least for 150g bullets
I think I found my huckleberry; 66.5g of 4831SC. I’m going to chalk up the flyers to either a small amount of bullet seating I didn’t spot check, a barrel with around 30 rounds prior to shooting or the slightly moving target from the wind. I’m ready to make my first lot of Swifts.

66.5gIMG_0999.jpeg

67.5g - notice the target changed; that was because the wind ripped off the original target…

IMG_1001.jpeg

Back