-relatively level playing field
-does not require the years of planning by the hunter
-diversifies application strategy options

Cons:
-Overhead cost vulnerable to exploitation
-Vulnerable to nefarious selection of winners
-Takes opportunity away from residents and point-holders
-Erodes democratization of hunting opportunity

Buzz seems to think HT has a net unfavorable view of raffle tags and Treeshark thinks it is a net favorable view. https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/the-kings-elk-op-ed-in-wyofile.325544/page-2#post-3808566

I predict that no matter the result, neither one will admit they were wrong because: A. Buzz has never been wrong, even once in his entire life. One time he did flip his opinion on changes to AZ NR tag allocations, but that was not an absolute right/wrong issue, so it doesn’t count, aaaaand B. Treeshark is always right about privatizing wildlife being a net positive for hunting, a mountain of contrary reasoning and evidence continuously presented to him by the entire HT community be damned.

Begin!

In my opinion, Colorado does it the right way, limiting the total amount one person can purchase to a reasonable quantity.
Lots of state raffles are exploited by wealthy individuals buying a greater than 50% chance of winning.

In my opinion, Colorado does it the right way, limiting the total amount one person can purchase to a reasonable quantity.
Lots of state raffles are exploited by wealthy individuals buying a greater than 50% chance of winning.
I never really expect to win any of those raffles. I look at them as a way to donate to conservation with a chance at a tag or piece of gear. I’d rather they not limit the number of entries so there’s no limits on donations. Nothings getting cheaper and conservation can probably use any and all the funding it could get. If some ultra wealthy guy wants to throw 50k at a raffle, more power to him. Just my 2 cents.

I’m usually just happy to have a general elk tag in my pocket. All these units/rafles/auctions/super tags are hard to keep up with. You gotta have a personal secretary to stay on top them every year.

My opinion of raffle tags is much more positive than my opinion of auction tags (which I have very mixed feelings about), when done right - limited number of tickets sold or limited number per person. Utah's expo raffle tags make me sick, but that's one kind of extreme. I also don't like the raffles like ID and NM sheep where it's often analogous to an auction tag for extremely wealthy people. I don't participate in a good number of raffles that make me uneasy about who is benefitting.

Any approval on my part is contingent on where the money goes and who it benefits.

I think if the poll were re-worded you would get very different results. Raffle tags are not that bad imo. A low priced raffle is not much different than applying for a OIL species. Throw your name in the hat and see what happens. If you are including Auction tags and transferable LO tags that’s a whole different ballgame.

I think if the poll were re-worded you would get very different results….If you are including Auction tags and transferable LO tags that’s a whole different ballgame.
That’s the point - The overall sentiment on HT re: auction and transferable tags is already clear. Raffle tags have a more favorable reception, but how much more favorable? Hence the poll.

I’m very mixed. I think they at least provide a chance to anyone that buys a ticket but I’ve also seen more than a few examples where some rich guy buys so many tickets that they are all but guaranteed the tag. I strongly dislike that situation. I’d also like to see them have similar rules to other tags and opportunities where they are issued and not basically be free for alls with massive season lengths, not apply towards once in a lifetime situations and not be an “extra” tag that doesn’t count against limits

Like most anything, raffling tags can go horribly wrong. Expo might even be worse than the guy who buys $50k of tickets for a single raffle.

MM - dumpster fire central - actually had a halfway decent thread on the 200 expo raffle tags. Especially posts #25 & 27.

I like the concept of setting aside a small number of tags for raffle and even fewer for auction if the money is spent well.

Idaho's raffle and auction tags for sheep have a specific purpose for each, respectively, by law. I don't know how each state does theirs though.

I get the purpose is to raise money, but the raffle tags in Idaho for sheep and other species very often go to those who buy tons of tickets. Some guys get raffle/super tags for species almost yearly.

If I were king of Idaho, I'd do auction tags as is (without adding any more like our legislatures tried to make happen) and then do raffles with single entry per person limit. Yes, I understand it is less money raised, but if the purpose of state tags is solely to raise money, every single one should be on the auction block.

Last edited:
I buy what I think are higher value ticket from select groups. When @Oak has a swaro raffle, I'm definitely in.

I'm a low price point guy on raffle tickets. I will spend up to $25 per chance, but not more. $100 dream hunt raffles don't interest me.

I do buy Super Hunt tickets in Idaho. I do not do Idaho's sheep raffle as it seems there are always guys buying up big blocks of tickets.

I went neutral. It’s like solar farms. Solar energy production can be great or terrible. My Mom has solar on her garage. I really impacts the environment very little, and provides loads of power for my Mom. The Esmeralda Solar Farm will drastically shift an ecosystem.

Auction hunts can be great or terrible. Worst case there’s no cap on tickets and a billionaire can just buy the tag. Best case there’s it’s a reasonable price for the ticket; maybe based on minimum wage? Then there’s a cap on how many tickets can be purchased by an individual, and the license is obviously non-transferable.

We have to raise funds to manage and conserve wildlife. How we do it is up for debate.

The 56 to 80 commission tags in Wyoming issued per year don't even have to go to support wildlife. Things like the cowboy joe club, libraries, music festivals, predator control boards, 4H clubs, and on and on receive tags to do what they want with the money raised.

Such a "smart" use of our wildlife resources.

The 56 to 80 commission tags in Wyoming issued per year don't even have to go to support wildlife.

Aside from the music festival example, the rest of them seem pretty solid to me.

Do you have any idea what percent of those tags are sold by the nonprofit via auction vs raffle?

After a quick search, I discovered a 4H Commissioner tag that was sold via auction. That’s not what the poll is asking about- auction tags and raffles are not the same thing.

4H

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozarkhuntress
Back