Property Taxes

a sales tax would put burden on anyone shopping in Montana, not just those that own property there. Might as well get a little something more from all the tourists
Touristy areas like Red Lodge and Whitefish have resort taxes to hit up the tourists.

The Minnesota tourist think they are getting a heck of a deal when shopping for trinkets in Red Lodge!

Screenshot_20240711_104444_Google.jpg

Last edited:
Man, some of the tax bills you guys are reporting are crazy!

My MORTGAGE is $997 a month.

Property taxes are just under $800 a year for 5 city lots, 1200 square foot house. 2.4 acres total. I am sure I will see an increase this year, it's never been much at all.
Damn! You must live in Hooterville!

@BigHornRam will love this.

For background, in WA everything is taxed at full mkt value, tax rate is 9.7% or there abouts. We have no state income tax, but do have sales tax of 6.5%.
In my latest assessed value report
2023 total valuations rose 9.1% from 2022 (+37% on lot, +3.4% on Building).
2024 total valuation rose 5.9% from 2023 (+67% on lot, -10.9% on building)

Figure that out. I asked about it and the assessor cited one of the few remaining empty lots in the neighborhood being bought for a crazy value and another purchase where the house was torn down to rebuild, so that value was placed on the land. Apparently a couple of wealthy people with enough money to make bad real estate decisions revalued my lot 67% higher. I didn't even care to ask how the hell he got the building lower by 10%. I could challenge, but I have a strong suspicion that the numbers will change to come back pretty close to the 5.9%.

The last legislative session with Rs having a super majority gave big corporations like Verizon and railroads big tax breaks. Ag exemptions meant gianforte property tax went down. So your property taxes went up? Voting has consequences.
IMG_0275.jpeg
Went down??
You can’t believe much of what Busse says, you have to fact check that clown.

Property taxes in Montana are increasing at an unacceptable rate for most longtime homeowners, but especially for those on a fixed income.
Having been opposed to sales tax for most of my lifelong Montana residency, even previously glad that Montana was one of the exceptions nationally ... however, my attitude has flipped completely. Not only is Montana missing out on the tax income from visitors to the state, but with the relatively small population base for taxation, taxes across the board are painfully skyrocketing.

Furthermore, I have come to realize that a sales tax would give most of us some options, rather than just having to suck it up everytime the city, county and state need more money.
As long as the sales tax was not on food, medicine, and essentials, I would welcome the option of deciding whether or not to purchase something and pay the associated sales tax.
Generally, the only tax for which the taxpayer can say NO is for school funding (which is another taxation system messed up), so we have NO options when a tax increase arises!

Unfortunately, one of the first points of guidance from the Montana Governor to his recently appointed taxation study commission was that a sales tax is off the table ... "Don't even bring it up!" Sad and irresponsible directive from the Gov office, IMO.

Unfortunately, one of the first points of guidance from the Montana Governor to his recently appointed taxation study commission was that a sales tax is off the table ... "Don't even bring it up!" Sad and irresponsible directive from the Gov office, IMO.

He's been accused of being pro-sales tax for a long time, and now he's getting attacked for not being for it.

Politics is $*)Q!#@$ hilarious.

@BigHornRam will love this.

For background, in WA everything is taxed at full mkt value, tax rate is 9.7% or there abouts. We have no state income tax, but do have sales tax of 6.5%.
In my latest assessed value report
2023 total valuations rose 9.1% from 2022 (+37% on lot, +3.4% on Building).
2024 total valuation rose 5.9% from 2023 (+67% on lot, -10.9% on building)

Figure that out. I asked about it and the assessor cited one of the few remaining empty lots in the neighborhood being bought for a crazy value and another purchase where the house was torn down to rebuild, so that value was placed on the land. Apparently a couple of wealthy people with enough money to make bad real estate decisions revalued my lot 67% higher. I didn't even care to ask how the hell he got the building lower by 10%. I could challenge, but I have a strong suspicion that the numbers will change to come back pretty close to the 5.9%.
The appraisal process is oiuja board science at best.😉😁

ghrrv.jpg

my property taxes have more than doubled in 4 years. I used to get a tax break due to being a 100% disabled Vet. Then I got an 8% cost of living increase and lost my disabled Vet tax reduction due to my income being "too" high. My monthly mortgage went up over $350 a month, I sure have not received a $350 a month raise to off set the tax and insurance increase. I live in a little nothing town. At this rate we will be taxed out of our house and Montana in 4 years.
Same here where we live in WY.
Increased my mortgage by over $400 in two years.

Touristy areas like Red Lodge and Whitefish have resort taxes to hit up the tourists.

The Minnesota tourist think they are getting a heck of a deal when shopping for trinkets in Red Lodge!

View attachment 332519
Thought I would throw a log on your fire for ya! MN sales tax is 7.375%. I have no idea what avalara is, but they are wrong. Maybe that is for buying a car, cuz that is a little less. But for everyday purchases, not including clothing or most foods, it is 7 3/8%. The good news is, that 3/8% goes to conservation. It has been a great deal for conservation for sure. Missouri has a similar model.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clinebj22
Back