Kenetrek Boots

Property Taxes

Here is another resource.
https://leg.mt.gov/content/Committe...-2022/residential-prop-tax-brochure-draft.pdf

Maybe it was previously posted but citations to politicians may sometimes be written towards a certain agenda.

Which appears to be blowing up the system to make sales tax more attractive.

One thing that often gets ignored when people cite appraisal increases is the statutory cap to the amount of increase.

You Montana guys pay some eye watering property tax amounts. Here in Maryland we have a 6% sales tax and pretty high property taxes. So I do a quick Google to see how Maryland ranks and we are the 13th highest overall tax state. I am just happy we are somehow still behind NY, ME, VT, HI, CA, CT etc,

What does Google say about Montana's overall tax rate... #39.

It doesn't make a lump sum payment easy or fun but all things considered seems reasonable to a non resident. Carry on...

I have not felt our property taxes are out of line. Now the online rebate protocol is Mickey Mouse, but we'll manage it. But we don't live in the part of the state with the fastest rising property values.

I'm not a fan of sales tax at all, having lived where there is one and here in Montana. The rate creep is a real thing. It will get sold as it's only one more penny on a dollar spent. One huge reason Billings is such a retail hub is the lack of a sales tax. On a weekend, a large percentage of Costco shoppers have Wyoming plates on their cars.

The Montana income tax code is a Rube Goldberg mishmash of convoluted policy. I wish they'd clean that up some.

I have not felt our property taxes are out of line. Now the online rebate protocol is Mickey Mouse, but we'll manage it. But we don't live in the part of the state with the fastest rising property values.

I'm not a fan of sales tax at all, having lived where there is one and here in Montana. The rate creep is a real thing. It will get sold as it's only one more penny on a dollar spent. One huge reason Billings is such a retail hub is the lack of a sales tax. On a weekend, a large percentage of Costco shoppers have Wyoming plates on their cars.

The Montana income tax code is a Rube Goldberg mishmash of convoluted policy. I wish they'd clean that up some.
I like not having sales tax but I think it is needed. If you rely on real estate taxes then effectively you are screwing the aging demographic. As you age you buy less stuff, but you still need a place to live.

Not just here in Montana, but everywhere in this country I feel like we just discard the elderly. I take issue with that.

Taxes are a necessary evil. Consumption tax is about as fair as you can get.

Edit: When I semi-retired I purposely bought a small home in the worst part of town. Why? I didn't want to get taxed out of my home over the next 25 years or so.

Last edited:
I like not having sales tax but I think it is needed. If you rely on real estate taxes then effectively you are screwing the aging demographic. As you age you buy less stuff, but you still need a place to live.

Not just here in Montana, but everywhere in this country I feel like we just discard the elderly. I take issue with that.

Taxes are a necessary evil. Consumption tax is about as fair as you can get.

Edit: When I semi-retired I purposely bought a small home in the worst part of town. Why? I didn't want to get taxed out of my home over the next 25 years or so.
If 73 is elderly, count me in.

I do not see how the elderly are just being discarded. Social Security and Medicare are a huge safety net for the elderly. The federal government and many if not all states give seniors tax breaks.

I don't generally agree that being older means, I shouldn't share the responsibility for funding state and federal government.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jachanzar91
Back