Project 2025 and Conservation

I don't really believe any politician, but Trump is enough of a raging narcissist to often dislike ideas if he didn't come up with them. Additionally, I have a sample size of 4 years where he didn't pursue many of these things. "This time will be different" isn't a particularly useful claim to me - for either side of the isle.

That's not to say he won't do damage, but this isn't his platform.

My main worry is that this will in almost all reality, be someone’s second term. Much easier to pad the stats when you don’t need to worry about winning another election or even what your approval rating is.

It’s all very troublesome and sad.

I wasn’t alive then but remember there were think tank agendas made for the Regan administration as well. Realistically this 2025 isn’t that far off the tracks as past influential groups I’ve the past 200 years. These are minds coming together to “crystal ball” a direction for the country or at the very least convey popular sentiment to the electorate.

I will further extend my offer to hunter host up here for a $2000 fee and first shot at Bigfoot if we see him.
Look it up but in your neck of the woods but I’m pretty sure there’s a law (at least in America) that you can’t shoot a Bigfoot, if’n you saw one. 🤣😂😂😂

Three (or four) possibilities:

1. Biden covers the West with solar and wind farms
  2. RFKJr did not answer Rinella on this, nor since to my knowledge
  3. Trump will go O&G. Don Jr. is a big advocate of Public Lands and hunting; his father seems to be taking his advice, at least on VP choice. Maybe some hope?
  4. Biden drops out, ??? Probably same as 1.
Let's face it, as the cities become unlivable, more folks seek the safety of the West. John Denver (and pot) ruined Colorado, and a movie, TV show, 2020 riots and covid are well on their way to overrunning Montana.

Talked to a friend who does AV installations in new homes the other day, and it seems the billionaire immigration is not slacking off.

I wasn’t alive then but remember there were think tank agendas made for the Regan administration as well. Realistically this 2025 isn’t that far off the tracks as past influential groups I’ve the past 200 years. These are minds coming together to “crystal ball” a direction for the country or at the very least convey popular sentiment to the electorate.
Good point, but I believe elements of the sagebrush rebellion are still very active in leadership and legislation today. Particularly in the west. Might have been nice if that movement could have been tamped down years ago rather than live on for 40 years...

I don't really believe any politician, but Trump is enough of a raging narcissist to often dislike ideas if he didn't come up with them. Additionally, I have a sample size of 4 years where he didn't pursue many of these things. "This time will be different" isn't a particularly useful claim to me - for either side of the isle.

That's not to say he won't do damage, but this isn't his platform.
Anything a person with his disorder talks about becomes their own idea.

Sure can, I’m just saying that one of best things folks can do is help keep people out of otherwise undeveloped habitat.

Here in Eugene the city passed a zoning reform a year or two ago where now there are no single-family-only zonings. Land /home owners can build additional dwellings in their yards, increasing housing density without altering the city boundary. Getting the units built is slow going, but it’s at least forward looking. No reason you couldn’t have a butterfly garden as well, my neighbor has a wildflower garden and 2 additional units on their .2 acre lot.
My take is it's a bit of a losing battle to keep people from moving into undeveloped lands entirely, but the conservation design principles --if accepted and applied--can be a better solution than just blocking up the land into the usual rectangles with equal lots. You can protect some of the most sensitive wildlands and give people proximity to them at the same time.

Our place was cut into what used to be a wooded pasture as recently as the early 70's. The area cleared around the house and for the septic and drain field had a lot more than I wanted to mow so we had a prairie mix seeded in. Every year something new kicks in. This year we have loads of prairie clover, black eyed susans, wild bergamot, hoary vervain and coneflowers along with a smaller number of a dozen or so others. And some of the natives we didn't seed like prairie phlox, spiderwort, and leadplant. Chock full of bees and butterflies. We've had does hide their fawns in it, turkey broods work through it--so yes, doesn't have to take much!

Yup. Oil and gas equals good antelope habitat. Thanks for that great point. Helps the aesthetics of the hunt too 🤔
Keep drinking the cool aid. I didn't say it equals good habitat, but to be clear there is great habitat in around O&G and good hunting also. You can't hunt a solar farm or a wind farm but you can hunt around O&G. I don't like the aesthetics of any of the energy developments but wind by far and solar have the greatest impact and are the most visible.

Keep drinking the cool aid. I didn't say it equals good habitat, but to be clear there is great habitat in around O&G and good hunting also. You can't hunt a solar farm or a wind farm but you can hunt around O&G. I don't like the aesthetics of any of the energy developments but wind by far and solar have the greatest impact and are the most visible.
This wind farm allows hunting.

I wasn’t arguing the merits of either/or. They both suck donkey dong for hunting. Just be honest. And if by koolaid you mean whiskey cokes…well than yes please I will have another thanks!

Can you name a windfarm on public land that you cant hunt?

Can you name a windfarm on public land that you cant hunt?
I haven’t seen a ton of windfarms in MT but there’s a Type 1 Block Management Area north of Harlowton with them that you can hunt.

Probably aren’t any bird left since they all fly into the turbines or whatever. ;)

The Heritage Foundation isn't some clown-car organization. It's been around for 50years and definitely falls in the Conservative category. But I would say it is best viewed via Capital vs Labor, and it is definitely on the Capital side. The whole doc was hat you would expect if you got 500 CEOs from the largest corporations and tell them to draw up a new governmental structure. Its basic views are 1) If something doesn't make money, it is worthless, and 2) the government prevents things from making money. The Project 2025 doc is over 900 pages. Obviously there are some things that sound like decent ideas and some that are pure bat guano.

If a person wants to get an idea of how this may affect them directly (and relevant to HT), about page 675 they suggest breaking up and privatizing NOAA. The driver is to eliminate talk on climate change and benefit O&G, but the result is it would allow the new "company" to charge for weather forecast. This will ultimately be paid by the end consumer. Do this with the hundreds of ideas THF has and you get an idea of where this goes. Money out of your pocket into theirs.

Regardless of what side you sit on, you are going to have to fight a good fight on a lot of things if you care about conservation. Don't think you can just punch the ballot and your job is done.

Trump invited a couple of Union guys to the RNC, one group of whom he worked with on the ice rink, so pretty sure we don't have to worry too much about disenfranchisement of Labor.

Those dudes were just looking to finally get paid for their work.

;)
Get the joke, but guessing if they hadn't have gotten paid they wouldn't have been there. I've worked with lots of Union guys (in an earlier life), and hunted with a lot more, and I think the old days of bosses scamming may be over. They seem to retire pretty comfy.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BuckWrangler
Back