MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Pink camo, #dadbodhunter, and a whole lotta stupid!

PAUSE….

I’m going to come back to the elk hunt. To much to cover and I currently have service and am hunting.

After staying in Jackson Sunday night I drove here on monday. I packed everything up on the cart for the 8.5 mile treck to camp with no water on public. 5 days turns into a lot of water. I think I brought just over 7 gallons plus food and camp for a cow elk hunt and antelope buck hunt.

The hike in is mellow but still sucked. The smoke is horrible but made for some interesting photos.
IMG_4217.jpegIMG_4218.jpegIMG_4219.jpegIMG_4220.jpegIMG_4221.jpeg

I got up in think this morning to get to the overlook before legal light. As I started crawling up a bull ripped a bugle right behind me and turned to see an amazing bull about a hundred yards away walking up the ridge. He was on private but I was pinned as the light brightened quickly. I watched him for a minute as he figured out I was there. He went into the gulch and came out with a half dozen cows. Heading for a corner of public I knew well. I took off through a fairly large ravine and came up the other side to see they had traveled further down the private. I gave it everything I had but couldn’t make it in time. They went up and over the top of the ridge and worked of into the next basin.

I slowed down and started to glass some spots as I hiked and everything I saw was on private. 5 nice bulls and a number of cows. Then right below me at about 250 yards another bull came out. I got ready for cows but he was solo.
IMG_4227.jpeg
IMG_4228.jpeg
I quickly realized I was three miles further from my truck than camp and my legs are still recovering from last week. Started to think I should turn this into just a backcountry antelope adventure and save my body for the other hunts this year. I still have two elk tags and a deer hunt to go after this.

Texted a few friends and the validated my feelings of going after those two big backcountry antelope. IMG_4225.jpeg
So here is me heading back to camp. Now I get to hunt all day long! Rather than hunting about 40 minutes a day while the elk are on public.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
emma817
Back