Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Pick a state to become a resident ...

Strongly disagree. You can take classes remote from a relative’s basement if all you expect from college are the technical lessons for math, engineering, computer science, etc. Step on campus, though, and you are surrounded by people, labs, activities and responsibilities.

The text books may be the same but the lab equipment can be vastly different for science classes. The quality of student sitting to your left and right in a classroom will absolutely on average vary as a school is more competitive to enroll/be accepted.

Employers with desirable job openings may only recruit from certain schools which have a track record for quality graduates. Sure, those graduates were likely outstanding freshmen four years prior which was a huge factor but you can’t fault employers for focusing where the better candidates are massed for easy recruiting. We all fish where the best fishing is expected.

My advice to parents is to understand what you want for your offspring as they enter their teens. Personality is apparent as hormones kick in. Academic strength is also becoming apparent.

Some careers do not need any type of college. Skip the multiple years of a college classroom and get going on that career such as plumbing, car tech, landscaping, big game guiding, painting houses, military, carpentry, writing a novel, etc.

If your young adult is good at learning and testing with a strong interest in college then it absolutely matters with the more technical degrees. I suggest seeking the best program available.

If a non-technical degree is not much use on its own such as pre-law or psychology then the quality of the undergrad institution will still impact where can be accepted to get the law degree or PhD. Your letters of recommendations from a lesser school will typically lack the impact of a school with a strong program.

If the interest is to earn a non-technical degree and no plans for post-undergraduate education then a local college or online studies should be considered as a way to keep costs down which can be a burden when graduating with a degree which is not always linked to open jobs that pay enough to service the debt incurred.

I attended a public university for undergrad which was the biggest in my state and I graduated in top 2% of class from a program ranked 6th in the nation. I graduated in a recession yet had multiple job offers before began my last semester. Students that had different majors and lower grade points were hustling to find sales commission jobs. Was brutal.

My uncle hired for an engineering firm. During recessions there would only be a handful of openings but even more applicants. How did he funnel down 1500 resumes for 5 openings back in the 1960s and 70s? He first pitched resumes where he did not know their football team mascot. He pitched certain names because of run-in’s in the past so no Ernest’s or Phil’s or Gertrude’s made the cut. He would then make a pile of those from strong engineering schools and skim those first then if still felt needed more candidates the skimmed the other pile of resumes. I told him he was a moron for being petty and his response was he saved time and had a strong track record for making good hires. He then added he would put a candidate or two in the interview pile if a buddy or teacher from his college or his career connections asked for the favor. So, school can matter and you never know how fickle or fair the process will be that passes on a great potential candidate for a petty reason such as choice of school.

I also attended a public grad school after a few years more of work experience. Very competitive process to be accepted with essays, interviews, standardized tests and recommendations. Remember, I excelled in academics at all prior levels. Well, I got pushed every class in grad school as those cats were sharp and driven. 1 in 6 were foreign nationals. Students represented 43 U.S. states and over 80 colleges. I was middle of the pack at graduation but since had prior work history with two respected companies and my grad program was 10th in the nation…there were job offers.

Both my undergrad and grad school had football games to go to, concerts by popular bands, guest speakers, impromptu discussions walking between classes and protests. I could not simply run home to family to get clothes washed each weekend as an undergrad. The umbilical cord was cut. No one asking if I did my homework or could wait at the door to yell at me that I was partying too much. Sink or swim. Plenty of students sank. Society does not always applaud those who step in the arena and get punched out. Those that swam had personal growth and improved confidence.

College costs have risen much faster than wages since I graduated over three decades ago. Heck, has even done so since my offspring graduated.

I mandated my offspring continue learning beyond high school but could be college or military or plumbing or chef school. They all choose college so our deal was I paid 100% so they exited college not owing anyone a penny but they had to minor or major in a business degree of some sort. They also had to do one or more semesters abroad. They agreed. I wanted them to have exposure to understanding financial budgets and be comfortable with business topics which a minor or major would achieve. I wanted them to live abroad a few months minimum and use their Spanish they had studied since 5th grade.

Nothing magical about my approach to offsprings though worked for us and am retired in my early 60s and my offside are now in their 40s with careers and families.
Screen_Shot_2020-07-24_at_11.33.38_AM.jpg

I heard all summer how awesome Massachusetts is. So great that they spend 6 months away from there. Top rated

My punch list for relocating :
  • No state income tax on Retirement income
  • West of the 100th meridian
  • Maximum 2 hours from international airport
  • No homeowners association.
  • Access to high speed internet (or Starlink)
  • Costco within 1 hour
  • Minimum 250 sunny days per year
  • less than 40 inches of rainfall
  • Comfort index above 7
  • Average wind speed below 10 mph with less than 120 "windy" days per year
  • Average July High temp less than 95
  • average Jan low above 15
whose got the database to plug that into?

• Costco within 1 hour
  • Comfort index above 7
Oh, so you’re thinking of becoming a Mexican citizen???

I did a quick google search attempting to find a place with average wind speed under 10 mph wondering if such a place even exists.

Turns out there are some but I supposedly live in the 3rd windiest city in the country.

Note that the picture for Amarillo and for Lubbock are not pictures of either city.

Good think Wyoming doesn't have any cities or they would dominate the list!

Last edited:
  • Costco within 1 hour
  • Comfort index above 7
For your first and second item, you have already narrowed 50 states down to just 6. Alaska, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington and Wyoming.

• Costco within 1 hour
  • Comfort index above 7
The only general area that I can think of that fits into those categories, or is close, is Washoe, Douglas or Carson City, NV.

Not sure what comfort index is.

Most of Texas is going to exceed those temps I believe.

South Dakota, and Wyoming are out due to airports and weather concerns.

Most of Washington and Alaska would be out due to weather concerns again.

The only general area that I can think of that fits into those categories, or is close, is Washoe, Douglas or Carson City, NV.

Not sure what comfort index is.

Most of Texas is going to exceed those temps I believe.

South Dakota, and Wyoming are out due to airports and weather concerns.

Most of Washington and Alaska would be out due to weather concerns again.

Sperling's Comfort Index scores locations based on how many days annually stay within a temperature range of 70–80 degrees—with penalties for days of excessive humidity.

from this website:https://www.bestplaces.net/news/places-with-the-highest-comfort-rating

And yes that Region of Nevada is on my radar. Several friends have made the move there already. i'm 4 hours from there now..

• Costco within 1 hour
  • Comfort index above 7

Of those 6 States I narrowed it down to, South Dakota doesn't have access to an international airport. That requirement you have really puts a hinder on the options available. Texas has a lot of international airports due to their flights into Mexico so I'm not so sure you can count most of Texas but technically, almost the entire portion west of the 100th is within 2 hours of one. So is almost the entire state of Washington. Regions in Nevada and Wyoming are. I'm not even looking at Alaska as if that is an option on your radar, it should just automatically go to the top anyways regardless of any requirements.

1723757676845.png

Next up would be the Costco 1 hour requirement. Looking within those purple regions and it extremely narrows it down.

You really created quite the limited geographic area just with a few simple criteria and we didn't even get to weather yet.

• Costco within 1 hour
  • Comfort index above 7
Why in the hell would anyone want to go to Costco?

Of those 6 States I narrowed it down to, South Dakota doesn't have access to an international airport. That requirement you have really puts a hinder on the options available. Texas has a lot of international airports due to their flights into Mexico so I'm not so sure you can count most of Texas but technically, almost the entire portion west of the 100th is within 2 hours of one. So is almost the entire state of Washington. Regions in Nevada and Wyoming are. I'm not even looking at Alaska as if that is an option on your radar, it should just automatically go to the top anyways regardless of any requirements.

View attachment 336590

Next up would be the Costco 1 hour requirement. Looking within those purple regions and it extremely narrows it down.

You really created quite the limited geographic area just with a few simple criteria and we didn't even get to weather yet.
I appreciate the work. Eastern Washington is in the mix for sure but Anacortes was pretty nice too (in the summer).

Oh, so you’re thinking of becoming a Mexican citizen???
Nuevo Mexico seems to hit your marks Rocky.
Well, 2 hrs to costco. For me.

Not as hot as NV nor AZ.
Well ,3/4 of it is higher elevation and only 90 in summer.

105 deg at my place.

Your Spanish lessons?...a waste of time when used in NM.
I could only catch half of what my Mechanic said to his worker yesterday.
Eng./Castilian/Pueblo

Again, it's just awful...move on. LOL

View attachment 336590

This town is in the purple. It gets a little breezy at times, but that just keeps the bugs down. Property is amazingly cheap too!

Mrs. Fan and I moved to WY about 13 years ago. Funny, because I am 3rd generation WY. We came here on purpose.

We live remote. It's just the way we like it. I can adapt my hunting. I can't like cities. Just not for us.

The bird hunting is lame, the fishing is OK, the hunting is amazing. Pick your poison.

i will not stand idly by while this thread devolves into costco hatred.

unbelievable.

degenerates.

We are a <1 mile from Costco. Tough to beat.

Easy to get caught up in negatives about some places. Bought our house pre 2020 so feel stuck at times when I look at real estate for some "small" upgrades to our current place.

But we are <1 mile to national Forest trailheads. I have had hunted and seen (not killed) elk and deer within 10 miles of our house on public land. Can be catching good sized bass and pike with a <15 min drive. Trout fishing is <30 mins. 40 mins to decent airport. 7 minute commute to work at a good paying job. Endless hunting, fishing, hiking, and more outdoor activities within a 2 hr drive.

So I think we'll be in Idaho for a while. WY would be 2nd choice and I don't think my wife would ever move there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishonfleek
Back