Peep sight trouble

Nick87

So I git a new williams peep sight and front glove for my upcoming elk hunt this year. First time really using a peep. Other than archery of course. I'm not sure what it is but I can not get the gun to shoot for shit with the peep, actually tried it on two different muzzleloaders. Averaging around 7" to 8" @100. But when I pit the old iron sights back on (they do have fiber optic dots) I shoot around 2" to maybe 3" @ 100. Which I was blown away with honestly. Today I tried three different size peeps and all 6 front crosshair config. And still couldn't get it under 6" I had two loads left with and I put the old sights back on and the two were almost touching @100. Anybody have any idea where I might be going wrong?I feel like I'm having trouble centering the front globe in the rear peep. Regardless of which size peep I use. I'm thinking I just shouldn't worry about it since I can shoot around 2" groups at 100 with the open sites that are Factory.

Hmmmm. I wonder if it's just a comfort level thing? If you're getting 2 in groups with the factory at 100 really can't get much better regardless of open sight type. Maybe time to just roll with what's working. Aren't muzzleloaders so much fun🤣?
Yah that's pretty much what I'm chalking it up to as well and yah they are a pain sometimes.

I went down this rabbit hole too- my solution was to keep the peep and dump the globe up front. Better in low light and more accurate for me using the 6:00 hold.

Truth be told though, I am a 5-6” group shooter at 100+ and select my shots accordingly. If you’re able to keep 2-3” groups with regular iron sights, I’m not sure I would mess with it- that’s really good imo.

IMG_3379.jpeg

I went down this rabbit hole too- my solution was to keep the peep and dump the globe up front. Better in low light and more accurate for me using the 6:00 hold.

Truth be told though, I am a 5-6” group shooter at 100+ and select my shots accordingly. If you’re able to keep 2-3” groups with regular iron sights, I’m not sure I would mess with it- that’s really good imo.

View attachment 338553
interesting - so your aimpoint is just the center of the back peep?

The globe can definitely keep you from centering the front sight, but it still shouldn't keep you from having a consistent sight picture. Stop worrying about where the front sight is. Your eye will put it where it wants it. Sight it in based on how and where your eye wants to put the front sight within the opening of the rear peep. Consistency is the key and usually the way to consistency is just letting your eye tell you where it wants to place the front sight.

If you do remove the globe, it will help to actually center the front sight, but it's not really needed. I have many peep and tang sights. Some front sights with different shape globes and covers. I know the globes and covers place the actual sight slightly lower than center, but that's how I see it every time and how it's sighted in. No problem.

It helps if your aperture is sized so that the inner circle of your front globe "touches" the whole way around.
You may be better off with a fiber front since you're used to archery sights already too.
Yah I thought the aperture size was problem as well but I tried 3 different sizes. Groups staued the same. @kodiakisland has a good point about not trying to center the globe.

Your eye will naturally want to align circles, the globe within the aperture, so on, so forth. It's what makes peeps so effective for bullseye targets. I'd double check everything is tight, too. I have the same globe arriving today, will try to get it set up this weekend for mz season in a few weeks. Will keep this thread in mind.

Your eye will naturally want to align circles, the globe within the aperture, so on, so forth. It's what makes peeps so effective for bullseye targets. I'd double check everything is tight, too. I have the same globe arriving today, will try to get it set up this weekend for mz season in a few weeks. Will keep this thread in mind.
Let me know, I did double check everything to make sure it was tight. That's the first thing that popped into my mind. You can stack more than one crossahor in the globe too FYI. I didn't think of that at first but it helped me a little.

Just go back to what works and stop worrying about it. Not enough time to get it sorted out at this point anyway.

Have the same set up on two rifles. Painted the ring on the front globe orange and treat it like an archery sight. Both rifles shoot really well (vortek strikerfire 50 and a CVA Accura LRX 45). Had first group out of the vortex at 1” off my back pack today. The accura was not as “accurate”.

There is also Marble Arms. I do consider Williams and Lyman as the premium peep sights. Though ultimately went with a Marble bullseye peep that replaced the rear buckhorn. It’s 2 3/4” closer from dovetail.

I'd be fat and happy with 2-3" groups at my age and current eyesight. I've got no idea why your having trouble with the peep sight, but as others have suggested ditch the front globe, and use the bare front Fiber optic.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishonfleek
Back