Kenetrek Boots

Peep sight trouble

I'd be fat and happy with 2-3" groups at my age and current eyesight. I've got no idea why your having trouble with the peep sight, but as others have suggested ditch the front globe, and use the bare front Fiber optic.
Yah might be the best of both worlds with visibilty.

So a little update I went back the peep and left the front post/fiber optic. I like it best. My groups did open up a little so maybe 4"at 90 yards or so. But I feel like that little bit is worth it withhow much I gain in sight picture. So Im going to just go with it. I definitely shot better with the rear ramp but in a hunting situation I couldn't see a whole lot. Thanks for all the input here guys, I really appreciate it.

So a little update I went back the peep and left the front post/fiber optic. I like it best. My groups did open up a little so maybe 4"at 90 yards or so. But I feel like that little bit is worth it withhow much I gain in sight picture. So Im going to just go with it. I definitely shot better with the rear ramp but in a hunting situation I couldn't see a whole lot. Thanks for all the input here guys, I really appreciate it.
Are you covering the dot with the front sight? I always shot best at like a 3” dot and put my dot right in the bottom of it. Makes the gun a inch high or so at 100 but my line of sight was so much better

Are you covering the dot with the front sight? I always shot best at like a 3” dot and put my dot right in the bottom of it. Makes the gun a inch high or so at 100 but my line of sight was so much better
I was covering it with the dot. But I actually thought about that while I was trying to aim tonight and I just may do that.

This is the one instance 4” is better than 6.

Confidence is huge! Practice some more, tighten that group up even more, kill big elk!

Good. A lot better if it's dirty.
It’s weird man I never hunt a clean gun for that reason my ol man shot a bull in the base of the head one year trying to hit it in the lungs that’s when we started hunting dirty

Mines 2 inches high at a 100 yards which allows me to do exactly what you said. Agree with hunting dirty too especially with those Thors seems to help accuracy.

Hate to hear about all the trouble. For quick shooting and low light, I feel the peep is worth it. I also love the increased sight picture.

I ditched the front globe and went with a standard fiber optic ramp and so far much prefer it. Way better low light visibility and even better/cleaner sight pic. I need to spend some time with it at longer ranges (100-200). My guess is I will give up some precision because I was able to center the target in the front globe then center the front globe in the peep. But for real world hunting, I think I’ll be happier.

4in with irons on a muzzy is plenty good. Kill a big one!
IMG_6883.jpeg

Got this front sight installed and tried it out last weekend. I'm using stacked reticles, with a fine cross hair and a fine fiber dot. It's so so. I do like the horizontal reference that the crosshair provides inside the globe. My groups are what they are, like 3" at 100 yards. My eyes are not going to do any better than that. But I didn't think that the globe was a detriment. Find out in a few weeks, perhaps.

Your eye will naturally want to align circles, the globe within the aperture, so on, so forth. It's what makes peeps so effective for bullseye targets. I'd double check everything is tight, too. I have the same globe arriving today, will try to get it set up this weekend for mz season in a few weeks. Will keep this thread in mind.
This is the principle of the peeps success...the eye does want to center the sight.

I'm wondering if the OP is trying consciously to keep both in view....my eyes aren't able to use open or peeps effectively anymore but when younger I shot my Williams better after I removed the hood over the front blade and replaced the simple brass blade with a bright orange one.

But I also see no reason to change if you can get 3" or better groups at 100 with traditional sights!

My hope is this thread will stop at least one person out there from going down the same rabbit hole a lot of us went down after reading that stupid Go Hunt article. He just made it look so cool… and necessary!

I think easiest/best solution for most people is an EABCO peep rail and leave your front sight alone.

Hate to hear about all the trouble. For quick shooting and low light, I feel the peep is worth it. I also love the increased sight picture.

I ditched the front globe and went with a standard fiber optic ramp and so far much prefer it. Way better low light visibility and even better/cleaner sight pic. I need to spend some time with it at longer ranges (100-200). My guess is I will give up some precision because I was able to center the target in the front globe then center the front globe in the peep. But for real world hunting, I think I’ll be happier.

4in with irons on a muzzy is plenty good. Kill a big one!
View attachment 339196
that front sight will cover the target at 150 plus. you might try the pumpkin on a post method

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishonfleek
Back