MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Opions on 300 win mag. Ruger go wild

I'm assuming you're looking at the Ruger American? I have one, the predator version in .308, which is ridiculously accurate. I know a few others that have one or two in various calibers and they are also ridiculously accurate also. You won't go wrong in getting one.

I don't buy custom rifles. My opinion. I got a few christensen arms only because my last name is christensen. Honestly disappointed. Ruger never fails.

My first rifle about 10 yrs ago was a Closeout sale at Cabelas on a Ruger American .308 in Navy digi Camo.....
It looked pretty cool & i had read how accurate they were suppose to be.....so i was able to walk out the door with the Rifle, a Nikon 3-12X42 M.223 600BDC Scope (only cuz they were out of stock on the M308) & a set of Warne rings, all installed while i waited for about $750.00 I was a happy camper!!!
Then I spent the next 2 yrs trying to get a decent group out of it, I wasn't looking for sub moa, id have been thrilled with 2" but I was getting 3-4" groups & was highly disappointed, i am not sure if I got a lemon or if it was the lead sled i was using or what.
I was convinced that the flimsy stock had to go, so i put it in a MDT Chassis & the groups improved ...a little, then I switched out the Scope for a Riton 4-16x & upgraded to Match Grade Ammo & got it out of the lead sled ,it is improved quite a bit, not sub moa, but its something I have a bit more confidence in.
I've thought about a new barrel, but not sure if i want to sink anymore $$ into it.....sometimes the bolt is hard to close so it makes me think about maybe the head spacing is off.....So once bit , twice shy about my Ruger American story....That said, I have heard good things about the Ruger American Gen.II that have a lot of features for the price that didn't come on mine. I hope its true.......maybe dont buy on the Close out sale at cabelas??

So getting back to the .300WM.....I like this caliber...It is proven, its cool, its long & accurate, not quite as accurate as maybe the 6.5 Creedmoor or the .300 PRC, but its right up there with the new comers, it will take down any Big Game in North America.
The .300 WM I chose is a Bergara Ridgeback Premier Edition, with all the bells & whistles from 2021 with a 1MOA guarantee with Match Grade Ammo, I only had to add a brake, a 20MOA Rail & a Vortex PST Gen II 5-25X50 Optic with the EBR-7C Illuminated Reticle & it is set to compete in a PRS match or take down a Bull Elk at 450yd.
I am pleased with the accuracy as well, I'm also over 3K into it.
So if you can get that Ruger American for $659 & it is as accurate as advertised you will come out ahead & should be very happy with it.
I highly recommend a muzzle brake if it does not come with one, the Recoil Hawg I installed is very effective & now felt recoil is hardly more that my .308, quite comfortable to shoot. The Ridgeback is a bit heavy so that soaks up some of the recoil as well, but the brake made a huge difference.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• R.A.R.MDT.CHASSIS.jpg
    R.A.R.MDT.CHASSIS.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 5
  • R.A.168.OTM..jpg
    R.A.168.OTM..jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 5
  • berara.ridgeback.jpg
    berara.ridgeback.jpg
    451.9 KB · Views: 4
  • .300WM.jpg
    .300WM.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 5
@RG300

Just WOW!!!

Flimsy plastic stock in a Leadsled using factory ammo.

The perfect trifecta of inaccuracy.

And I'd love to hear why the 300Win Mag is "less accurate" than 6.5 Manbun or 300 PRC.

And I'd love to hear why the 300Win Mag is "less accurate" than 6.5 Manbun or 300 PRC.
LOL.....he said "Manbun"...hahaha..... I have only read that is is less accurate, no first hand knowledge,
Ya, i dont use lead sleds anymore, lol.

@RG300

Just WOW!!!

Flimsy plastic stock in a Leadsled using factory ammo.

The perfect trifecta of inaccuracy.

Wherever you read that, it is wrong. mtmuley
Probably the loose nut behind the stock is causing inconsistent trigger let-off

Can’t speak to Ruger, but my old man got a great deal on a Bergara 300 win mag and it’s the nicest rifle I’ve shot I think. I always thought I was a decent shot, but after shooting that I felt more confident than ever before and farther than ever before. Great cartridge— Ive been wanting one now.

Can’t speak to Ruger, but my old man got a great deal on a Bergara 300 win mag and it’s the nicest rifle I’ve shot I think. I always thought I was a decent shot, but after shooting that I felt more confident than ever before and farther than ever before. Great cartridge— Ive been wanting one now.
I would encourage you to get one, Bergara is known for their accurate barrels. Not all of them are top tier price.

another interesting clip :

My go to biggame rifle with an 40 year old Burris Signature 3x9 on it. Give me 3-5 seconds on anything upto 350 yards and its in serious trouble. 1st rifle/scope I ever bought, and I really can't see myself ever buying another biggame rifle.

Will try it out
Congratulations,🌟💫 Great choice , at only 7lb, you'll be glad the 300WM comes with a brake.
I noticed the price in cart & thought it was a Premier Edition, but then i saw the qty. 2, lol....even better!!
Any idea what optic you will choose?
Let us know how it goes.....Happy for you!!! 😃😃👍👍

Back