New Zealand Roar Hunt 2024

I'm currently trying to plan an archery trip for stag for this coming year. Want to do a DIY hunt as I don't have the luxury to afford a guided hunt. Any recommendations and or tips? Any thing helps as this will be my first time hunting Stag or just visiting New Zealand in general.

I'm currently trying to plan an archery trip for stag for this coming year. Want to do a DIY hunt as I don't have the luxury to afford a guided hunt. Any recommendations and or tips? Any thing helps as this will be my first time hunting Stag or just visiting New Zealand in general.
Plenty of DOC land and in NZ you can hunt big game in National Parks.
Also it’s not too difficult to get permission on private property.

Plenty of DOC land and in NZ you can hunt big game in National Parks.
Also it’s not too difficult to get permission on private property.
Any recommendations on general area? Not looking for coordinates just to clarify😁 The photos from this thread looks to be in some high country possibly above tree line.... As an archery hunter it would be pretty hard to pull of a hunt like that. Do stag pattern similar to elk? Bed in dark timber? Should I be scouting for food and water sources? Sit wallows in the afternoon? I'm an avid Elk hunter so I have that as a back round but I'm trying to gather more info on how to go about a hunt for stag.

Any recommendations on general area? Not looking for coordinates just to clarify😁 The photos from this thread looks to be in some high country possibly above tree line.... As an archery hunter it would be pretty hard to pull of a hunt like that. Do stag pattern similar to elk? Bed in dark timber? Should I be scouting for food and water sources? Sit wallows in the afternoon? I'm an avid Elk hunter so I have that as a back round but I'm trying to gather more info on how to go about a hunt for stag.
The hunt Kiwi did was on the east side of the main divide, in that vicinity a lot of the country is fairly dry as most of the rain is dumped on the west side due to the north south ranges blocking the clouds. The deer seem to adapt tho and learn to use the natural topography to their advantage, it's surprising how a bare bit of country like that can produce a fair few animals.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfgjetski
Back