PEAX Equipment

Nationwide license fee?

this is just another pipe dream from eastern and calif. guys like schumckalts and his buddies,,,look you have 3 choices

1. pay up and hunt
2. move to a western state and become a resident
3. shut the #*^@#* up and take up darts

awww, now your hurting my feelings. Maybe I will be mean and not hunt your state so you have to pay more for your tags:D Admit it, you dint like me because i am native American, And by the way, i get away with one of your 3 choices every year weather you like it or not, and still get to get old fuggers like Glenn shook up enough to act like he still has some life left in his old carcass.
So Glenn, it is not a money issue?? You need to re-read the first post again and lay off the hard stuff before 9PM. where in that post, or any post in this thread is there mention of nonresident tag quotas? Man, i am hurt, you mean old turd

O.K, i lied, I am not an Indian. Well O.K, I am not hurt either. And i am going to bed. What are you still doing up? at your age you need to get some sleep or the Alzheimer's will get out of hand wont it?

Hey Schmalts,

I'll agree to price caps on license fees when you can convince gas companies to cap gas prices, Leica to cap the price on their binoculars, chevy to cap the prices on their new trucks, nosler to cap the price of their bullets, ruger to cap the prices on their rifles etc. etc. etc.

Maybe people should learn to control their spending so they can afford the DIRT CHEAP NR license fees.

Good grief you act like you're broke. Shake the cobwebs out of the wallet.

I am broke, I bought geovids last year and still am recooping from it

I don't own any part of chevy, ruger, nosler or a gas company. I get told all the time I own the federal lands out west and should throw the damn welfare ranchers out. All we our looking for is a little price break to hunt on our land. I'm willing to pay more than you guys who live out there so you can feed and water my critters.:)

In reality there just aren't enough critters to go around regardless of the price of a tag. Cheaper prices on tags will do nothing to create more animals to hunt regardless of who owns what land. The rich will always find a private ranch or tribal hunt but the regular people just have to hope to draw. Even homos like Schmalts are welcome out here and can draw a tag.

Good point - why should we care about the welfare ranchers if we can't hunt it anyway? My only thoughts on this issue are that if a unit is largely made up of federal land, then perhaps more non-res tags should be available. I also agree that non-res fees need to be reasonable - I think under $500 for an elk tag for instance.

Then the number of tags, total, should be based upon game surveys and the number of animals an area can sustain.

What chaps my ass is all the federal and state land that we cannot hunt becuase it is landlocked by private holdings. I also feel that use of federal lands for grazing, etc. should be predicated upon allowing access to those government lands to the public. There are huge "kingdoms" of public land that might as well be private property since there is no access to us, the landowners!

Good point - why should we care about the welfare ranchers if we can't hunt it anyway? My only thoughts on this issue are that if a unit is largely made up of federal land, then perhaps more non-res tags should be available. I also agree that non-res fees need to be reasonable - I think under $500 for an elk tag for instance.

Then the number of tags, total, should be based upon game surveys and the number of animals an area can sustain.

What chaps my ass is all the federal and state land that we cannot hunt becuase it is landlocked by private holdings. I also feel that use of federal lands for grazing, etc. should be predicated upon allowing access to those government lands to the public. There are huge "kingdoms" of public land that might as well be private property since there is no access to us, the landowners!

You know the nonres tag numbers isnt really what bothers me, its the rising cost tags with the burden on the nonresident and the so called "auction tags" in states where the rich can hunt every year just because of his tax bracket. I just would like them to put a cap on what tags will cost in the future. Its a handshake deal between the state and the feds in my mind. The State pays the federal taxpayers VIA some tags and a REASONABLE COST OF THEM, for use of the federal land to raise thier private owned livestock (you guys said the state owns the game right?)
Some states isnt a problem but others are making it a welfare system with the nonres paying the bills. it's getting out of hand in some places and our kids will never be able to cross a state line to hunt if nothing is done.

Curious how you "decided" that under $500 for an elk tag is reasonable? Why not under $400 or under $300 or under $1,000? Does the actual cost of management come into consideration or only what you think is reasonable. How come California doesn't allow NR hunters to hunt certain species at all?

What percent of public lands are actually land locked? Do you wish to do away with private property rights in order to access public lands?

Have you read the actual text of the bill? How come it would only apply to deer, elk, antelope, or bear? Doesn't apply to bison, big horn sheep, mountain goat, etc, etc. What makes Deer, elk, antelope or bear living all or part of the time on public lands different from other big game?

You know the nonres tag numbers isnt really what bothers me, its the rising cost tags with the burden on the nonresident and the so called "auction tags" in states where the rich can hunt every year just because of his tax bracket. I just would like them to put a cap on what tags will cost in the future. Its a handshake deal between the state and the feds in my mind. The State pays the federal taxpayers VIA some tags and a REASONABLE COST OF THEM, for use of the federal land to raise thier private owned livestock (you guys said the state owns the game right?)
Some states isnt a problem but others are making it a welfare system with the nonres paying the bills. it's getting out of hand in some places and our kids will never be able to cross a state line to hunt if nothing is done.

Again what is reasonable? Does it have any connection to what it costs to manage the resource? Also the there is a very real cost to local and state governments where large tracts of Federal lands exists. The Feds do not pay any local property taxes. They do pay PILT (Payments in Lieu of Taxes) but it doesn't come close to what private land owners pay in property taxes. So it isn't the free ride all you people think it is. If it is such a sweet deal then move to the state with the most federal land and start hunting.

It is an idiotic bill that will never see the light of day, period.

Nemont

Nemont - $500 was just an example. Choose whatever is "fair." $300 sounds even more fair to me, if you are talking about a guy with a couple of sons trying to go out of state for a hunt.

I think California should allow NR hunters to apply for any species that is hunted on Federal land - like tule elk on Grizzly Island.

I only know there is a "lot" of public land landlocked by private land. The reason for this is simple - the land that was most desirable and thus homesteaded, was the land with less slope and more water. Thus the land along waterways, in valleys, etc. was privatized while other, less desirable land was left in federal ownership. Cities and towns also developed in the more desirable lowlands. In this way, much of the "wilderness" was left to become our national forest, wilderness areas or BLM lands.

Another factor that contributed to this was the granting of every other section of public land to the railroads, in order to finance the building of the railway system. The railroads also took the easiest route, as it is obviously cheaper to build the railway there.

In any case, the answer is " a bunch" of federal and state land is landlocked, with only the private landowners having access to it.

It may never get out of committee - but that does not make it a ridiculous bill. I have not read it, so I do not know if it is or not - have you read it in its entirety? he concept is what I agree with - you are free to disagree.

Nemont, I really can't answer that . I think it really should be on a precentage base rather than cost because some states manage better and have a better quality of hunt. states that have a lot of federal land and charge nonres 30X more than res is just wrong. It is not a price that i think needs to be capped, but more a percentage.
If a state has no or little federal land they can do what they want, they owe nothing to nonresidents in my book for thier part of the bargain because they are not using federal land.
I think to say that 200$ is a cap (like the proposal) is dumb, and needs to be brought out better.
Maybe a percentage should be based on the amount of federal land in that state? who knows, but my original point still stands, that something has to give and a line needs to be drawn in the sand before it gets out of hand any further.
Back to the "auction" tags, they wouldnt be needed if everyone paid more of thier fair share. That was my gripe with UT. If they need so much more money than they should charge a 40$ application fee for everyone rather thanlet some rich scmuck hunt every year because he paid the fees for the cheap azzes and then gets to write off the whole thing on top of it.

. I have not read it, so I do not know if it is or not - have you read it in its entirety? he concept is what I agree with - you are free to disagree.

I have read it in it's entirety.

Before any of you who think Duncan Hunter is your friend you may want to do a little research.

May 1, 2006

Capps Decries Latest Effort to Jeopardize Public Access to Santa Rosa Island

Urges Chairman Hunter to Drop Language on Santa Rosa Island from Defense Bill

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, Congresswoman Lois Capps expressed her strong opposition to Armed Services Chairman Duncan Hunter’s proposal to exclude the public from enjoying full access to Santa Rosa Island. In a letter to Chairman Hunter, Capps noted her deep concern with Hunter’s decision to include language allowing private hunting on Santa Rosa Island to continue beyond the 2011 deadline and encouraged the Chairman to drop any language regarding Santa Rosa Island from the Defense bill.

“I’m deeply disappointed with Chairman Hunter’s decision to pursue this fatally flawed proposal,” said Capps. “This is Chairman Hunter’s third attempt in less than a year to exclude the public from accessing the National Park that they paid $30 million for. The issue of Santa Rosa Island has no place in the defense authorization bill and I am committed to ensuring that the third time will not be a charm for Chairman Hunter. I find these efforts to limit taxpayer’s access to public land and undermine protection efforts to be very troubling. I am also concerned about efforts to insert the military into an area of public land management where they have no jurisdiction or expertise. Quite frankly, I am baffled as to why the Chairman would continue to push for an idea that has been so thoroughly rejected by the public in the past.”

Santa Rosa Island was purchased from the Vail and Vickers by the American people in 1986 for $30 million. It is the second largest island in the Channel Islands National Park system and home to several endangered species, including some unique to the island. Limited hunting of elk and deer are currently allowed under a legally binding court ordered settlement. Under that agreement the hunting operations will stop in 2011.

On two occasions last year, Chairman Hunter attempted to include language in the Defense bill that would have stripped control of Santa Rosa Island from the National Parks Service and given it to the Department of Defense to create an exclusive hunting preserve for top military brass and their guests. These efforts were met with widespread public disapproval and soundly defeated after Capps’ led the effort to alert the public to Hunter’s controversial proposal.

Hunting on Santa Rosa Island to continue despite outcry
By Chuck Schultz/Senior Staff Writer

To the dismay of environmentalists and a local congresswoman, private hunting of deer and elk will continue indefinitely on Santa Rosa Island - closing off the scenic isle to the public for several months a year - under a last-minute addition to a defense-spending bill passed Friday by the House of Representatives and poised for Senate approval.

The language inserted by Rep. Duncan Hunter, R-El Cajon, chairman of the House Armed Services Committee, contradicts a 1998 court settlement between the National Park Service and the island's former landowners calling for hunting to cease there by 2011.

The Vail Family, which sold the 54,000-acre island off Santa Barbara to the federal government for $29.5 million in 1986, currently charges hunters up to $17,000 apiece.

They had agreed to scale down hunting beginning in 2008 and discontinue it completely by 2011. All of the deer and elk were to be removed by then.

Blasting Hunter's stated rationale for undoing that deadline - so that disabled veterans would have the opportunity to hunt on Santa Rosa - Congresswoman Lois Capps, D-Santa Barbara, labeled his provision a “special interest boondoggle.”

Allowing a “lucrative private hunting operation to continue indefinitely” on public land “sets a terrible precedent for the use of our national resources,” she added.

The annual defense authorization bill, totaling $533 billion, cleared the House late in Friday's session by a vote of 398 to 23. Officials predicted it will also be easily approved by the Senate before Congress recesses this weekend for the Nov. 7 elections.

Whose interests is Congressman Hunter really looking out for?

Nemont

I do feel that residents of many states could stand to pay just a little more than what they are currently paying for hunting licenses/tags. Even here in Washington, where I believe our resident fees are higher than many other states, I think the fees are too low. For deer, elk, bear, and cougar I only pay $72. A non-resident would pay $720 for the same thing, and I think that is more than fair, but I also believe it would be fair to double the $72 so that I pay $144. The NR would then only be paying 5 times what I pay, rather than 10 times. But, I don't think it's any business of the federal government, and they need to stay out of it, and I'm sure they will.

It is an idiotic bill that will never see the light of day, period.

Nemont

...of course it is. Didn't we already beat his horse on another thread?

Here is the complete text of the bill for those who haven't read it.

110th CONGRESS

1st Session

H. R. 3255
To prohibit a State from charging an individual more than $200 for a permit or license to hunt big game on Federal public lands within that State.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

July 31, 2007
Mr. HUNTER introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on Natural Resources

A BILL
To prohibit a State from charging an individual more than $200 for a permit or license to hunt big game on Federal public lands within that State.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `Teddy Roosevelt Bring Back Our Public Lands Act of 2007'.

SEC. 2. LIMITATION ON FEE.

A State may not charge more than $200 per year for the issuance to an individual (regardless of the State of residency of such individual) of a permit, license, or other similar document granting to such individual the right to hunt big game on Federal public lands in that State.

SEC. 3. DEFINITIONS.

In this Act:

(1) BIG GAME- The term `big game' means deer, elk, antelope, or bear.

(2) FEDERAL PUBLIC LAND- The term `Federal public land' means any land or water (other than any land or water held in trust for the benefit of an Indian tribe or member of an Indian tribe) that is--

(A) publicly accessible;

(B) owned by the United States; and

(C) managed by an executive agency for purposes that include the conservation of natural resources.

(3) HUNT- The term `hunt' means the lawful pursuit, trapping, shooting, capture, collection, or killing of big game or the attempt to do the same.

Kenetrek Boots

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jachanzar91
Back