My 2024 Iowa season

Up early Saturday morning all ready to go. I walked a logging road up on the ridge but I set up about 200 yards farther down than I set up the night before. All I saw or heard was squirrels, squirrels, and more squirrels.

Snack of champions.
20241019_075537.jpg

During the day we did some running around in Wisconsin. Visited some old friends and I took my wife to the apple orchards in Gays Mills. Hoping to get back out hunting for the evening I'm in a hurry but am patient with the wife. Everyone knows how important that is. About 15 miles back from the orchards my wife can not fund her phone. We turn around and just so happens someone turned it in at the first orchard we stopped at. OK back towards the cabin we stop at DQ for supper and on the road. By the time we get back there's only about an hour left to hunt so I just chalk it up to an evening watching crime shows with the Mrs.

On to Sunday morning, the last day. Either sex tag so anything goes. I walk up the logging road again in the moonlight and get busted by a doe across the drainage. I get set up on the same spot as the day before about a half hour before shooting light. The doe that busted me stood over on the other hillside blowing at me up until 5 minutes to light. Plenty of squirrel action again but then I see a deer moving my way. Gun up looking through the scope I think it's a doe. Doesn't matter, I'm shooting this deer either way. Qaurting to me I put it through the shoulder and it did the job. Only went about 50 yards and piled up. Turned out to be a little buck but that's OK with me.

20241020_072936.jpg
That's as it lays, I didn't think about any more pics as it's time to start cutting. Only maybe a half mile down the trail and up the road to my place I carry all my crap back then back up the hill to pack out the meat. That concludes my big game hunting for the season. Off to chasing some pheasants next on my list.

What a successful season for you guys! How are the numbers for pheasants in central Iowa? know around here if there’s habitat there is a few birds.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sequimsm
Back