Multi-state deer hunting extravaganza

Scott85

Like all hunts this started with planning and applying for draws in the spring. The spring started off good with me drawing my 3rd choice in New Mexico for any FAB in Northeastern New Mexico.
When it was time to apply for Arizona I applied the same day that Nevada’s results came out. At the time I was red across the board for Nevada. In my sorrow I wasn’t thinking straight and screwed up my Arizona application by putting the easiest to draw tag first (100% with my points). It was shortly thereafter I realized my folly and it make matters worse the hunt dates for both hunts almost completely overlap with the New Mexico season only lasting a scant 5 days.

I started working on a schedule that would optimize time spent on both hunts. The plan I came up with is scouting before the season in both units and be in New Mexico on opening day. The unit in Arizona is on my way to New Mexico and I’m planing on stopping in that unit and scouting for 3 to 4 days then having a travel day to New Mexico and scouting 3-4 days before the season starts. This might change if I come across a great buck in Arizona and I’ll hunt Arizona first. The season New Mexico is only 5 days the season in Arizona starts a day earlier.

Well that’s my plan. Everything is packed and ready to roll, I head out Thursday for this pretty epic adventure!

I’ve never applied for any out of state tags but that scenario (and subsequent anxiety) of drawing multiple, competing date tags is one that has run through my mind when considering doing so.

Hope you fill ‘em both and have tons of fun doing so!

Back