Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

August of the Antelope

I felt (and do feel) somewhat ambiguous about harvesting a fawn in August. I shot an October fawn a few years ago, and it was the best wild game I'd ever eaten. I also wasn't having much luck finding a dry doe. Ultimately, it didn't seem to make sense to pass the opportunity up. I'm already looking forward to steak and carne asada!

Dad and I grabbed some breakfast in celebration. By then, I was tired to the point of delirium after the rough night I'd experienced, and dying for a shower and a nap. We returned to the motel and crashed for much of the afternoon.

After waking, we took some time to explore a little bit and enjoy the scenery in the area.

aug_scenery.JPG

Lots of barren country, but it's beautiful in its own way.

wide_open_spaces.JPG

We also swung back by the hunting grounds to pay another visit to our beloved quarry. We found more. Highlights included a doe with triplets...

triplets.JPG

...and a doe with a radio collar (yeah, I know I need a better camera).

radio_collar.JPG

I had another night reserved at the motel, but we ultimately decided that we would be happier if we just got back home to our own beds. My sleep schedule is out of whack. Oh well - gives me a good excuse to go ahead and write about the hunt. I might be able to sleep in a few hours. We'll cut meat tomorrow and then I'll turn my thoughts to the next one.

I'm not used to antelope hunts like this. It almost felt too easy, to be honest. My other antelope hunting has been done either in crappy Wyoming units with loads of pressure on limited public land, or on a unit here in Utah where the antelope all have PTSD from repeated helicopter roundups and years upon years where hundreds of permits were issued (though not so much lately). Getting close to them in those situations has been quite tough. By contrast, there were a total of 10 permits issued for this hunt (we only saw one other hunter in passing), and although the animals were still fairly spooky, they were everywhere. It was a great recipe for success.

By contrast, my upcoming archery hunt will likely be one of the most difficult hunts I've ever been on. It's an interesting juxtaposition.

Got it cut and wrapped today. Here's a photo I snapped during the process.

the_good_stuff.JPG

Dad and I fried up a tenderloin to share in celebration. It was exceptional - hands down the best wild game I've ever had. In a blind taste test, I think most would just think it was a nice cut of beef. Then again, I'm not sure how you could possibly beat alfalfa-fed pronghorn veal!

Got it cut and wrapped today. Here's a photo I snapped during the process.

View attachment 335050

Dad and I fried up a tenderloin to share in celebration. It was exceptional - hands down the best wild game I've ever had. In a blind taste test, I think most would just think it was a nice cut of beef. Then again, I'm not sure how you could possibly beat alfalfa-fed pronghorn veal!
Love it! Back to Nevada :cool:

Not much for photos today. I did end up driving right past a herd with a few nice bucks near sunset. They were in a fantastic spot, and I felt it best to just blow on by so I wouldn't spook them off. I've got what I think is a pretty good plan in place for tomorrow morning.

big_country.JPG

hay_herd.JPG

Morning was a bust. Slipped into my chosen hiding spot bright and early and didn't see anything all morning except a bunch of coyotes (which may have explained the lack of antelope). Went back to town for lunch and a nap, spotted a few herds on the way back but none that would facilitate a realistic stalk.

Came back out for the afternoon and found a herd of 3 bucks pretty much right where I hoped they would be in the morning. I'm hiding about 400 yards away from them. Wind is not good but should change in an hour or two. If it does, I'm going to put out a few decoys and see if they want to come take a look.

My chosen hiding spot is a rare shady spot in an enormous desert. Not a bad place to wait, if one must. The waiting game continued for a few hours. Lie down. Close eyes. Rest. Sit up, check and see if the antelope are still bedded. Repeat. Here was my view for much of the afternoon, as I stared up toward the sky.

the_view.JPG

The bucks got up and started feeding away to my left, and it became apparent that I would need to reposition. I carefully backed out and crept to another hiding spot about 100 yards away. When I peeked out, I found the bucks closer to me than I would have expected, on their way with no decoy required.

the_approach.JPG

I was more or less pinned, and began to evaluate the situation. One of the bucks was sub-legal. One was small but legal. The other was mature. Bigger than any I've harvested before, though that's not saying a whole lot.

Sub-Legal and Barely Legal started feeding off to my left. Big Guy was on my right. He eventually closed the distance to about 30 yards, but I had no shot. The line between me and him was obscured by a tangled mess of branches.

the_other_view.JPG

Sub-Legal and Barely Legal crossed into my shooting lane at 50 yards. Too far. I was within their field of view. They began to act nervous but not exceptionally alarmed. Big Guy decided he would join them and began heading for my shooting lane. He was on track to cross into it at about 40 yards. I rose to my knees and drew. A few more steps, and he'd be in the shooting lane. Then he was. He kept moving. Oh no. A few more steps, and he'd be out of my shooting lane! He stopped. It was now or never.

I took the shot. If I'm being honest, I rushed the shot. He jumped the string, and I sailed an arrow over his back. :( They took off and ran a few hundred yards before slowing down to watch me retrieve my arrow. In hindsight, I shouldn't have taken the shot. The distance was too long for an antelope that's on edge like that, at least for me. I'm grateful it was a clean miss and not a bad hit.

Not the outcome I was after, but the moments leading up to the shot were honestly about as fun as it gets. There's nothing better than finding yourself in position, animals on approach, and experiencing an increasing possibility that things will go how you've been hoping they will go.

Tomorrow is another day...

Awesome effort. It builds the story, and it’s time to live and learn. Haven’t we all punched the trigger???

The sun has set on this adventure, without a hero shot or much more excitement to report.

nevada_sunset.JPG

I switched areas and tried some spot and stalk hunting, to no avail. The animals were more spooky than I expected they'd be. The big bucks were running as soon as I parked the truck. I guess there's a reason they're the big ones.

On the whole, I have no regrets (except rushing the shot...). The hunt was a lot of fun. It was also a much-needed break from what has been a hectic few months at work and in life. I'm headed home feeling good. More relaxed and at peace than I've been in quite a while. I'd call that a success.

Good luck to everyone chasing these fascinating creatures in the coming weeks/months!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishonfleek
Back