Caribou Gear

MT HB2 amendment

onpoint

More garbage. An amendment to HB 2 (the general appropriations bill) was added today by Sen. Lewis (R). $437,000/ year from general license funds to be funneled to shooting range grants. MSSA is at it again. I guess if you think shooting ranges should be funded by hunting license dollars instead of that money going to wildlige mgmt., this is a good idea. If not........

Got this info from a very active and valuable member of Headwaters.....

Last edited:
Ya right! Maybe if they charge for a 20.00 rifle stamp and apply those funds to rifle ranges. I still wish someone could tell me what a bow stamp pays for.

Also, if I understand HB619 correctly, as added to HB 2, it will require FWP to conduct timber sales on game ranges, FAS's, etc., that's right - logging operations on game ranges. AND, at the cost of $20 mil per year in misdirection of fed matching funds. This concurred today. Another in need of Guv veto......

This amendment was added to HB 619 at our request:

(3) The annual sustainable yield constitutes the annual timber sale requirement for the timber sale
21 program administered by the department TO ADDRESS FIRE MITIGATION, PINE BEETLE INFESTATION, AND WILDLIFE
22 HABITAT ENHANCEMENT MAY NOT EXCEED THE ANNUAL SUSTAINABLE YIELD.

The amendment is bolded. Originally, it was a diversion and told FWP to manage their WMA's for maximum timber yield. I think the diversion issue is gone, but some in FWP aren't sure.

Galen Hollenbaugh (D-Helena) got the amendment put on.

Back