More or Less Informed?

I am in no such quandry.
One is a vote for freedom from big govt, the other is a vote for more big, intrusive, big green, big in your face govt.

Pressure is mounting every day for sleepy joe to drop out.....

By the time the Democratic Convention takes place, they will most likely install Kalama, gag me with a spoon, newsome, double gag me.....or some other extreme choice, because the democrats of today are not the reasonable democrats of yesteryear.

I have lived in a blue state since 1981 & it has only gotten from bad to exponentially worse due to the failed extreme liberal policies. We have tried to vote em out....but they manipulate & distort & wiggle their way back in every time.

If you can't see that the other guy is a pathological liar, wanna be dictator, you have your blinders on.

If you think your elections aren't fair, that is another myth. I live in a state that leans red, I don't just assume they are cheating.

Regarding the Democrats changing, you could say the same of the GOP. Liz Cheney used to be a garden variety conservative Republican. Now she is a pariah.

I stated we have two shitty choices earlier, one demented, the other a lying sociopath. I'll stand by that. We are a mess presently.

Society as a whole is certainly more informed, but facts have less meaning. The tribalism has trickled into every crack and it is almost impossible for many to retain some independence. The result is people chose to learn and know less, especially if it contradicts what they want to believe. However, they also want others (experts if you will) to have more perfect solutions. We are all a hot mess.
I'll add with algorithms it's probably impossible to get away from the tribalism. I swear to God some days I don't evem say things out loud and it's on my phone later that day.

We belittle those with more knowledge when it challenges our assumptions, we roll in ignorance like a dog in a mud puddle.
Worth a requote.

I'd also say part of the problem is that there's the news, which takes about 15 minutes to impart, and then the 24/7 outlets need to fill air time with spin and editorializing. The way to do so and keep the ad revenue coming is to sensationalize, pit people against each other, make it about winners and losers, etc.

The absolute most difficult thing for a human being to do is admit they are wrong. We are all guilty of this. Critical thinking, self reflection, etc. are just too darn much work; for some who are struggling to get from paycheck to paycheck, those things are a luxury. For others, especially if they have a fragile ego, they simply can't. It's a fascinating psychological phenomenon. And to those with the time and ability, we can otherwise pay for our respective echo chambers to confirm our biases and go about living our lives.

I truly think Kellyanne Conway nailed it when she declared that there are "alternative facts." Objective reality, particularly when it makes a person uncomfortable or stands in stark contrast to deeply held convictions and beliefs, has become far less tolerable.

Two answers:

Wrong/less informed of facts. News is all political. Long gone are the days of Walter Cronkite and others that didn't have have a narrative. They just reported what the facts are.

In the good old days you had to actually read a newspaper or listen to the radio. Your mind actually had to work to absorb information. Now you its fed to you like a feeding tube.

I personally am so happy to hear schools starting to ban cell phones. As a former HS coach its a major distraction that served no purpose. Kids may actually have to have meaningful conversations and listen in class, ( so these days they can be properly indoctrinated)

I remember my teacher turning on the radio for Reagan's "tear down the wall speech". It was powerful listening to it.

While I am at, i got paddled in school. Served it purpose well, and they didn't call my parents to ask. Surprisingly by today's standards I actually survived getting a foot up my ass.

Sorry went off topic
Maybe we just thought Cronkite reported the facts. I will say, Paul Harvey shot about as straight as anyone ever.

After Reagan got rid of the Fairness Doctrine is when our media really started to fit the shan. We lost the necessary gov't lever to ensure fair and impartial broadcasting because human nature is drawn to greed, excess and amassing power.

Mr. Lamb bests me on every topic relevant to a hunting forum, but on the this topic I have to respectfully disagree - I have no interest in a government bureaucracy managing speech on my behalf. Plus the internet made TV news completely irrelevant anyway.

The absolute most difficult thing for a human being to do is admit they are wrong.
I don't know about that, my loving wife makes sure i do this on a regular basis. Seems to happen more often if there is a full moon, lol:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Mr. Lamb bests me on every topic relevant to a hunting forum, but on the this topic I have to respectfully disagree - I have no interest in a government bureaucracy managing speech on my behalf. Plus the internet made TV news completely irrelevant anyway.

How's that working out for us?

How's that working out for us?

You're too modest to claim another victory.

All you have to do is look at where we find ourselves. Each side rarely hears the other side of an issue. Each side is obsessed with different issues. Each side thinks the other side is the problem.

Now it looks like we have a choice between two candidates clearly in cognitive decline. One of them can barely finish a sentence and the other one has been convicted of sexual abuse and various fraud charges.

People are messy and 300+ million people are going to be a dumpster fire no matter the rules. I will always take freedom over the alternatives.

Interesting, the fairness doctrine is an infringement of freedom, while recently women losing agency over their bodies, I guess is not.

Absolute freedom is another way of saying anarchy.

Stanford journalism professor-

The murder of George Floyd and the racial reckoning that followed have opened a conversation around journalistic objectivity. Glasser believes journalists must step away from the blanket idea of objectivity to achieve social change — but not everyone agrees with him. Many journalists are now asking: Can journalism contribute to social change while maintaining its objectivity?

I'd say it's about the same. If you want to get more informed, it's out there. If you don't want to get Tik Tok. It's human nature.

I saw them open from Brian Williams at a birthday party for a 11 year old at Chuck-E-Cheeses in Lodi, NJ.

Not what I excepted. Too much Ranch dressing. Cannot reccomend.
As long as you have Tabasco, you CANNOT have too much ranch dressing.

Maybe we just thought Cronkite reported the facts. I will say, Paul Harvey shot about as straight as anyone ever.
Harvey actually leaned a LOT more right and radically so than many think. He was very close to J Edgar Hoover and Eugene McCarthy--probably enough said there if you know your history.

I find people don't know how much changed after first the equal time rule was allowed to be stretched beyond recognition (Faux News being the most egregious example) and the Reagan's killing of the fairness doctrine.

It took a bit but not long--the idea so many have of the country going to h#ll started with those.

We hadn't and still haven't changed that much, but you wouldn't know it if you don't filter your news and information sources with a dose of reality and perspective--and hardly anyone does anymore.

It amuses me that we use memes to respond to a question about whether we are more informed after the advent of the internet.

We can barely form a sentence, much less a paragraph. Where are you when we need you, Wllm?

To actually answer the OP, I have a sound bite of my own. I stole it from Ronald Reagan, who is reported to have stolen it from Gregory Zilboorg.

Since we live in the age of inclusion, let us fix it:

"It isn't so much that liberals we are ignorant. It's just that they we know so many things that aren't so"?

Back