Montana season structure proposal 2.0

Getting the data first, which is also part of our proposal, is working in the right direction too.

I don't think it is safe to assume we would be successful in getting caps put in place a few years down the road. Hell, even attempts to limit NR bird hunting pressure have came up unsuccessful lately.
Wouldn’t knowing exactly how many people are hunting region 6 and 7 by picking your region be part of that data?

Reactions: DFS
It’s comforting to me that the main criticism so far is we aren’t going restrictive enough. I wouldn’t have thought that!😀

How about we keep archery going through the first week of October and just have the last two weeks of October be rifle season for mule deer? Think that would fly?

It’s comforting to me that the main criticism so far is we aren’t going restrictive enough. I wouldn’t have thought that!😀

How about we keep archery going through the first week of October and just have the last two weeks of October be rifle season for mule deer? Think that would fly?
We didn’t even tell them about the blow gun season yet.

Not a chance. I think the people of MT are already going to have a meltdown. If you cut deer season to two weeks it’ll be a riot.

Wouldn’t knowing exactly how many people are hunting region 6 and 7 by picking your region be part of that data?
It would be, and that was part of the original thinking behind pick your region. I would prefer not to potentially increase the pressure in R6 and 7 even more for a couple of years based on the assumption that regional caps would be implemented a few years down the road. If the caps didn’t get implemented, the situation in those regions would be even worse than it is now.

Even if regional caps did eventually get implemented, a very likely scenario is that the quotas would be set so high that they wouldn't do any good. The same thing happened to some of the elk districts in R4 and 5 when they broke up the 900 archery bundle. The quotas were set so high that there were hundreds of leftovers. That doesn’t do anything to help crowding.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Creek 1-1
Back