Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Podcast on Montana Mule Deer ideas

My biggest concern with OTC licenses for NR is for black bear. They can definitely be over harvested contrary to sentiment of some hunters that there are too many.
I’m not at all concerned about the number of wolf tags sold. Very, very few NR are specifically targeting wolves and the rarity of incidental harvest during the hunt for other species hasn’t outpaced recruitment of wolves. In the areas where I am familiar with wolf numbers have stabilized due to wolves saturating their habitat and numbers are limited by prey more than predation from hunters.
The otc nr black bear is an issue in 5. Not my thing I didn’t realize it till talking with a warden how bad it actually is

I don’t listen to podcasts much but I didn’t fast forward once!

I selfishly hope at least the mule deer season changes so I can be in the high country with a rifle :)
Choose your species is something I hope gets through.

I think what would help the plan gain traction along with a general goal is also getting a solid understanding of “quality” and what that means for most Montanans.

Gonna be hard to get those dollars outta the ears of FWP with all the opportunities they have created

Well spent time.
I see not much has changed in MT, in 50 years. Except the quality.
Folks still just hunt half the year and no mandated harvest reports.
Glad someone is finally discussing options.

Also, one last question. You guys stated that this only applies to general units. What about units that are LE for elk and general for deer? Are we going to be archery elk hunting while someone is running around rifle hunting deer?

Alright one last thing, I think this is the last one. You guys brought up that FWP’s surveys are skewed to get the answers they want. Eric mentioned that specifically, and then stated that the most recent one was the best one yet. “Not great, but the best one yet” was how he said it I believe. That may be true…but that means the previous one was good as well, as it was the same survey given before.

Just finished the podcast. The main issue I have with the plan is letting region 6 and 7 continue to bear the burden of the nonresidents. There needs to be some limits to those 2 regions with nonresident deer tags.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BravoNovember
Back