Caribou Gear

Montana season structure proposal 2.0

I support the intent and recommendations and I'm happy smarter people than me are trying to effect change. My question is with goal #6. My opinion is maximum opportunity is already a goal currently in place and is a big reason things are as bad as they are. How can you have maximum opportunity, yet implement restrictions needed to make things better?

I support the intent and recommendations and I'm happy smarter people than me are trying to effect change. My question is with goal #6. My opinion is maximum opportunity is already a goal currently in place and is a big reason things are as bad as they are. How can you have maximum opportunity, yet implement restrictions needed to make things better?
Having an opportunity to hunt a mule deer in October is not the same as hunting in November. Ask any serious Wyoming hunter the difference

Having an opportunity to hunt a mule deer in October is not the same as hunting in November. Ask any serious Wyoming hunter the difference
Oh I get it. I support not hunting Mule deer in November. Only point I was trying to make is, I don't believe it meets the definition of "maximum opportunity". I guess my question should be: what is "maximum opportunity" to the group?

Building off of that,

The proposal does limit opportunity by forcing a choice on species as well, and by curtailing a blanket 2 tier system for something a little more nuanced. The goal to maintain as much opportunity as possible was coupled with the need to make some larger changes in terms of reducing all hunting pressure during the timeframe (elk & deer). So you get late season cow hunts (done before & effective), muzzy season, archery & rifle for elk, which spreads elk hunting pressure out even wider as well.

Last edited:
Oh I get it. I support not hunting Mule deer in November. Only point I was trying to make is, I don't believe it meets the definition of "maximum opportunity". I guess my question should be: what is "maximum opportunity" to the group?
You still get a tag every year to hunt a deer of your choice. You hear guys saying le is the way which would be cool till you didn’t get your invite to the party.

I’d also add that it’s amazing the amount of people that don’t understand our draw system. My neighbor is around 70 life long Montana resident who didn’t draw an archery elk tag this year with 3 points. He was pist and told me he was gonna go complain to fwp that we should have a 7 year wait after your draw an elk tag also. He wants a 7 year wait on a tag that he will statically draw 7 out of 10 years. The last year the 900 elk tag existed a guy didn’t draw that applied with 8 points. That’s the beauty in our system I apply for 9 states every year and I think we have one of the fairest. So when people start saying le is the choice I don’t think they realize it could result in them missing a few seasons before they hunt deer again

Pick your region not being in the updated plan is a real bummer. Good luck thanks for the time and effort that you guys have put into this.

I’d also add that it’s amazing the amount of people that don’t understand our draw system. My neighbor is around 70 life long Montana resident who didn’t draw an archery elk tag this year with 3 points. He was pist and told me he was gonna go complain to fwp that we should have a 7 year wait after your draw an elk tag also. He wants a 7 year wait on a tag that he will statically draw 7 out of 10 years. The last year the 900 elk tag existed a guy didn’t draw that applied with 8 points. That’s the beauty in our system I apply for 9 states every year and I think we have one of the fairest. So when people start saying le is the choice I don’t think they realize it could result in them missing a few seasons before they hunt deer again

Appreciate the responses. The way it was written seemed more subjective than I was thinking, and I was genuinely asking. My mind didn't immediately go to having a tag in hand. If that was covered in the podcast, apologies as I haven't listened yet. Again, I applaud the efforts of those involved and would love to see changes implemented.

Appreciate the responses. The way it was written seemed more subjective than I was thinking, and I was genuinely asking. My mind didn't immediately go to having a tag in hand. If that was covered in the podcast, apologies as I haven't listened yet. Again, I applaud the efforts of those involved and would love to see changes implemented.
No worries but that is what we mean by maximum opportunity if we go le and say it’s 70% odds are slim but you could not deer hunt for 4 years. The same way a 12 year old draws a ram tag is same way you don’t see a deer tag

Why not just LE Montana draw. The same system for deer and elk in Montana.

U guys had a good thing, pick your region. Then capped. Then final step LE.

We touched on this topic in our podcast conversation. We identified four parameters early in our meeting that we wanted to try to balance with the points of our proposal.

1. Socially Acceptable- if we can’t get it passed it won’t make any difference.
2. Net benefit for the resource. Our proposal needs to be better for the resource than current management policies.
3. Maintain as much opportunity as we can while reducing pressure on the resource.
4. Not significantly reduce funding for FWP.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeijeiemi
Back