Montana Mule Deer Mismanagement

Fixed it for you.
I was just comparing when I see the vast majority of folks in the field, which is essentially the last 2-2.5 weeks of November, and compare it to archery + october rifle when there is no real incentive for people to all go at the same time.

I was just comparing when I see the vast majority of folks in the field, which is essentially the last 2-2.5 weeks of November, and compare it to archery + october rifle when there is no real incentive for people to all go at the same time.
A general season rifle MD hunt in any of November is the single most important thing that needs to change.

Non-residents harvest more mule deer bucks than residents in NE Montana
https://helenair.com/opinion/column...cle_fa2201a8-3210-5df6-ab19-36ac37e5125e.html

"According to an FWP Interoffice Memorandum dated 5/6/2024, the “total Region 6 mule deer harvest in 2023 was estimated at 9,986, 28% above the 26-year average” and — for the first time ever - non-residents harvested more antlered mule deer than Montana residents in Region 6.

The memo added that “antlerless harvest in 2023 was 35% above the 26-year average, with resident hunters making up 54% of the antlerless mule deer harvest.” So a pile of does are being killed by hunters too, and nearly half of them (46%) by non-residents."

In my opinion we should not consider proposals that restrict residents hunters until the nonresident hunter has been put in check.
You could also post this in the more appropriate thread...

A general season rifle MD hunt in any of November is the single most important thing that needs to change.
That is a much simpler and more effective proposal than others I've seen which require resident hunters to be locked into one HD, give up weeks during archery, give weeks of hunting in October, and give up weeks during the general season. That would disproportionally hurt residents vs nonresidents/outfitted clients. Why go nuclear on resident hunter opportunity before we address the obvious gorilla in the room?
You could also post this in the more appropriate thread...
Welp, I suppose it depends on what side of the state line you sit. I figured "Montana Mule Deer Mismanagement" was an appropriate place because news about nonresidents killing more mule deer bucks than residents is mule deer mismanagement to me.

That is a much simpler and more effective proposal than others I've seen which require resident hunters to be locked into one HD, give up weeks during archery, give weeks of hunting in October, and give up weeks during the general season. That would disproportionally hurt residents vs nonresidents/outfitted clients. Why go nuclear on resident hunter opportunity before we address the obvious gorilla in the room?

Welp, I suppose it depends on what side of the state line you sit. I figured "Montana Mule Deer Mismanagement" was an appropriate place because news about nonresidents killing more mule deer bucks than residents is mule deer mismanagement to me.
I guess it didn't matter 10 years ago when their wasn't a citizen proposal that you disagreed with?

Huh? What didn't matter 10 years ago when there wasn't a citizens proposal that I disagreed with? I honestly don't know what you're talking about. Please elaborate.
NR killed more MD bucks than Residents in Region 7 from 2012-2015, it's in the graph I linked above. I'm assuming you didn't care about that then like you care about it now, instead now using it as an argument against a proposal that removes some total opportunities.

Maybe you did care about it then, if so I apologize.

Either way, we welcome collaboration and input which is the reason I linked the other thread. But do as you please

Non-residents harvest more mule deer bucks than residents in NE Montana
https://helenair.com/opinion/column...cle_fa2201a8-3210-5df6-ab19-36ac37e5125e.html

"According to an FWP Interoffice Memorandum dated 5/6/2024, the “total Region 6 mule deer harvest in 2023 was estimated at 9,986, 28% above the 26-year average” and — for the first time ever - non-residents harvested more antlered mule deer than Montana residents in Region 6.

The memo added that “antlerless harvest in 2023 was 35% above the 26-year average, with resident hunters making up 54% of the antlerless mule deer harvest.” So a pile of does are being killed by hunters too, and nearly half of them (46%) by non-residents."

In my opinion we should not consider proposals that restrict residents hunters until the nonresident hunter has been put in check.
This is interesting considering that FWP said during the CAC meetings May 6-8 that NR accounted for 33% of the harvest in R6 and 45% in R7.
These were the numbers they read during the meeting.
It’s hard for me to trust any numbers that they spew out, they never seem to be consistent nor do they have accurate data.
I’m not going to start beating this dead horse but it should be mentioned. Their own numbers are just not consistent. That’s all.

This is interesting considering that FWP said during the CAC meetings May 6-8 that NR accounted for 33% of the harvest in R6 and 45% in R7.
It’s hard for me to trust any numbers that they spew out, they never seem to be consistent nor do they have accurate data.
I’m not going to start beating this dead horse but it should be mentioned. Their own numbers are just not consistent. That’s all.
I would assume that to be the long term average.

The numbers themselves may not be 'accurate' but if the same sampling method and analysis is used you can compare them to one another to see trends, etc.

NR killed more MD bucks than Residents in Region 7 from 2012-2015, it's in the graph I linked above. I'm assuming you didn't care about that then like you care about it now, instead now using it as an argument against a proposal that removes some total opportunities.
Ah, thanks I'm following you now. The OpEd I shared was simply pointing out that FWP identified for the first time NRs killed more MD bucks than residents in Region 6. I do care. That's why I helped write SB 525 which would have required FW to put caps on NRs. Personally, I think NRs should be addressed before we start to limit residents. I agree that unlimited opportunity can be a bad things, however, picking a district, picking a weapon, shortening the archery and general seasons, etc, etc. disproportionally harms residents vs nonresidents / outfitted clients.

Here is the memo referenced in the OpEd

Edit: I don't want to start beating a dead horse either.

Attachments

• 2024_Region_6_Mule_Deer_update.pdf
    543.2 KB · Views: 3
The numbers themselves may not be 'accurate' but if the same sampling method and analysis is used you can compare them to one another to see trends, etc.
With all due respect. That’s the same crappy methodology that has produced this mess. Anyway, I’ll shut up about it. I’ve voiced my thoughts more than enough about it but the states that are managing well don’t use crappy data. There’s zero reason FWP should either.

With all due respect. That’s the same crappy methodology that has produced this mess. Anyway, I’ll shut up about it. I’ve voiced my thoughts more than enough about it but the states that are managing well don’t use crappy data. There’s zero reason FWP should either.
I agree, I'm just saying the current data isn't worthless. If you compare to what mandatory reporting would produce in terms of data, then yes, the current data quality isn't even close.

I agree, I'm just saying the current data isn't worthless. If you compare to what mandatory reporting would produce in terms of data, then yes, the current data quality isn't even close.
I hear you. But without good numbers and the fact that they don’t provide consistent data it gives a sense of dare I say, mismanagement. After listening to way too many hours of the CAC Zoom call it was evident that the numbers are not accurate and this method allows for too much modeling, aka best guess IMO.

I'm baffled by how anybody can say with a straight face we are not to the point of REDUCING OPPORTUNITY for EVERYBODY. Montana's deer mgt, while it may have been sustainable in 1980 is total insanity now.

Gotta love that opportunity to hunt year round, everywhere in the most mismanaged state in the west?

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nickeells91
Back