Advertisement

Montana General Season Structure Proposal

So in the last 3 months I probably have about an average of a half hour a day wrapped up into this. Between talking with the guys on zoom or our messenger board. Reading information talking with other people. Yet you won’t take a few minutes to make a Facebook account to try and talk to people outside of the hunt talk echo chamber got it.
If this is a push to get @Shed God on facebook im in. Best follow on HT!

I do feel like one of his criticisms is fair and might not be well understood - shutting the rut down will make bucks who are on private land stay on private land all season.

If this is a push to get @Shed God on facebook im in. Best follow on HT!

I do feel like one of his criticisms is fair and might not be well understood - shutting the rut down will make bucks who are on private land stay on private land all season.
Leaving the rut going will also bring public land bucks into private due to large concentrations of does

A few other major changes to this year’s hunting season regarding mule deer are:

• Antlerless mule deer in Regions 6 and 7 can only be harvested on private property this coming fall, which is a change from years past.

I know we like to be negative around here, but I feel like these 3 changes are a big step in the right direction. We all want more deer on public land, and FWP just took steps to protect the does on public land. Makes me hopeful that the trend might head in the right direction.

FWP did not make this change. Fwp is not happy with this change

Edit I see Schaaf beat me to it

ive actually always thought an old giant forky would be sweet.
I chased one in CO archery a while back that was 26-28" inside spread. Ancient buck. His body dwarfed some real nice 150-160" deer he was hanging out with. I screwed up, got lazy, and blasted him out of his bed from 35-40 yards that I'd seen him use the day before.

All of which to say, old bucks are way cooler than the whack a forkie game MT likes to play.

Region 7 staff is strongly for no changes even though we are getting pounded by nonresidents and western Montana hunters. It is madness with no adults steering the wheel. We will take a beating again this fall.

Staff strongly against change. Is that politics, science or own opinion. With all the turmoil in fwp, how is any of there management justified.

Staff strongly against change. Is that politics, science or own opinion. With all the turmoil in fwp, how is any of there management justified.
It is certainly interesting and I don’t know the answer. If they would come out and say this is cwd management and this is what the future looks like it would be easier to stomach. They tend to take the path of nothing has changed and you need to try harder or gain access to private land.

Cwd that I know of was in areas of private land. In region 3. It's the excuse I was told that 324 went to Otc. Even though the majority of cwd cases were in whitetails primarily on or around Kennedys twin/sheridan mt. Very few cases above ruby reservoir. The ones that were is were ubwould expect on limited access and deer overpopulation. Won't through the bio that told my brother this under the bus. Cwd why 324 LE permit is otc. Majority was whitey. Heavy whitey.

That would be a shifty excuse. Scared of cwd. Doubt a wild herd that lives on otc public would ever get a disease that causes alot of damage. Death toll. The disease always caused by private that doesn't allow public hunting. Milk river, region 3, ect

It is true that drought currently has us at the bottom of the mule deer cycle. It is also true that if I could go back in time I would quickly choose to go back to the worst years in the 80's or 90's instead of going back to the best of years in the last 15.

Last edited:
Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mleonard23
Back