Montana General Season Structure Proposal

I think that’s what he and I are both referring to. Lost in translation a little I guess. To add to what you said, you start with 500 bucks and don’t kill any, the only added bucks to the population next year are the new fawns. But if you kill 300 of those bucks, now you have 200 bucks plus the new buck fawns. You are correct that bucks can’t make more bucks all by themselves and protecting the does is most important for the herd numbers. I’m just stating that killing less bucks could in a way also be beneficial.
Can you expand on what the benefit would be?

Let’s be real there aren’t gonna be 500 there’s gonna be 498 cause me and the wife are going for a eastern Montana road hunt for sure this year and gonna top it off with the North Pole choo choo in lewistown for the kids. Yeehaaww

Can you expand on what the benefit would be?
I apologize if I’m doing poor job explaining this. It’s my first day back to work after 5 days off, so I’m struggling. Lol. This is only my opinion and maybe some here would share it too. If there are x number bucks before hunting season starts(let’s stick with 500 as you mentioned): example A-assuming no other mortality, hunters kill 100 bucks in a more managed season scenario. There will be 400 bucks plus all the buck fawns born before the next season.

Example B- there’s more of a free for all type season and 400 bucks are killed. You are left with 100 bucks plus the new crop of fawns for next season.

To me, the benefit of having more bucks is that the buck to doe ratio is somewhat higher and more balanced with a likely better balance of age class and probably a somewhat shortened rut with the better ratio. Thats just my opinion though. I also understand that you can’t stockpile bucks either. That’s why I prefer a more middle of the road approach where there is plenty of opportunity for hunters but a more challenging opportunity at the same time.

It needs to be LE unlimited outside the existing Limited districts. With alot of gaurenteed non resident tags going to outfitters. And landowner tags gaurenteed.

Just feed back from the ones I know. Why would they give up everything they already have. They manage there herds. Well according to fwp we are responsible for them.

Think about it.
You should take this to Facebook and find like minded individuals to help you. I’d start with Montamerica

A few other major changes to this year’s hunting season regarding mule deer are:

• Antlerless mule deer in Regions 6 and 7 can only be harvested on private property this coming fall, which is a change from years past.
  • Beginning in the 2024 hunting season, only antlered buck mule deer may be harvested with a General Deer License in all Region 5 hunting districts. In six of the 10 Region 5 deer and elk hunting districts, youth hunters aged 10-15 may harvest either sex mule deer with a General Deer License.
  • Nonresidents may only purchase one Deer B License unless they drew a combo, which allows them to purchase two total. Before this year, nonresident hunters could purchase up to seven Deer B Licenses.”

I know we like to be negative around here, but I feel like these 3 changes are a big step in the right direction. We all want more deer on public land, and FWP just took steps to protect the does on public land. Makes me hopeful that the trend might head in the right direction.

One thing I’m curious about is if BMAs count as public for the doe tags. I know of some parts of region 7 that are mostly BMA.

Cgasner. Idk what montamerica is. Google it. Nothing that relates.

U are shit stupid if u think politics isn't at play. Private land and outfitters. $$$

Your total $*)Q!#@$ idiot.

A few other major changes to this year’s hunting season regarding mule deer are:

• Antlerless mule deer in Regions 6 and 7 can only be harvested on private property this coming fall, which is a change from years past.
  • Beginning in the 2024 hunting season, only antlered buck mule deer may be harvested with a General Deer License in all Region 5 hunting districts. In six of the 10 Region 5 deer and elk hunting districts, youth hunters aged 10-15 may harvest either sex mule deer with a General Deer License.
  • Nonresidents may only purchase one Deer B License unless they drew a combo, which allows them to purchase two total. Before this year, nonresident hunters could purchase up to seven Deer B Licenses.”

I know we like to be negative around here, but I feel like these 3 changes are a big step in the right direction. We all want more deer on public land, and FWP just took steps to protect the does on public land. Makes me hopeful that the trend might head in the right direction.

One thing I’m curious about is if BMAs count as public for the doe tags. I know of some parts of region 7 that are mostly BMA.
bma is private . This was a big topic at the meetings in December . FWP thought telling landowners enrolled in Bm what to do might mean less acres enrolled . I agree . They can decide what is hunted on their bma’s

U say the region 5 6 7 meeting was 3 yrs old

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240625_195911_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240625_195911_Chrome.jpg
    488.8 KB · Views: 27
Cgasner. Idk what montamerica is. Google it. Nothing that relates.

U are shit stupid if u think politics isn't at play. Private land and outfitters. $$$

Your total $*)Q!#@$ idiot.
So I’m a stupid shit because of your inability to use google? Makes sense to me. I’m pretty sure if you READ this thread you’ll see multiple times where I have said there is to much politics in wildlife and it makes me sick. Maybe someone will be nice enough to try and figure out how to post a link to their Facebook page for you

bma is private . This was a big topic at the meetings in December . FWP thought telling landowners enrolled in Bm what to do might mean less acres enrolled . I agree . They can decide what is hunted on their bma’s
Hopefully some BMA partners will forgo allowing doe hunting. I do believe part of the key is private land conservation and cooperation

The biggest issue is the mule deer have stable populations to hunt on private. Public different end of the spectrum. So politicians and money will rule.

I don't have Facebook.
So in the last 3 months I probably have about an average of a half hour a day wrapped up into this. Between talking with the guys on zoom or our messenger board. Reading information talking with other people. Yet you won’t take a few minutes to make a Facebook account to try and talk to people outside of the hunt talk echo chamber got it.

For clarity, the first bullet point was a fish and wildlife commission item opposed by FWP and the third bullet point is because of SB 281 that originated with the Elk Management Coalition in the 2023 Session.

Cgasner. Iam not getting a God dam Facebook. I talk to alot of people too. Through shed hunting, hunting. No doubt u put in work. Not disrespecting u that way.

For clarity, the first bullet point was a fish and wildlife commission item opposed by FWP and the third bullet point is because of SB 281 that originated with the Elk Management Coalition in the 2023 Session.
So they walked back on bullet point one? Wouldn’t that be a win?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mleonard23
Back