Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Lever Monday...post em up

@BrentD

The young man’s shooting form looks unusual to me. His off trigger hand is so close to his body, with so much gun forward of his hand.

Merits to this form?

@BrentD

The young man’s shooting form looks unusual to me. His off trigger hand is so close to his body, with so much gun forward of his hand.

Merits to this form?
That is the accepted way to shoot competition. All the Big Dingers shoot this way. His form is just about perfect, and he is well on his way to Big Dinger status.

Often called Schuetzen style.

A little more...
This style rests the majority of the rifle's weight on the left hand. That weight transfers vertically to one's elbow then left hip and down through his socks to the ground making a very solid stance.

It also increases muzzle weight, which slows everything down. I could post a lot more pics next week as other matches take place. There is some variation, esp. in the left hand to rifle grip. I shoot off my finger tips while others are able to bear the weight on the heel of their hand only.

Last edited:
That is the accepted way to shoot competition. All the Big Dingers shoot this way. His form is just about perfect, and he is well on his way to Big Dinger status.

Often called Schuetzen style.

A little more...
This style rests the majority of the rifle's weight on the left hand. That weight transfers vertically to one's elbow then left hip and down through his socks to the ground making a very solid stance.

It also increases muzzle weight, which slows everything down. I could post a lot more pics next week as other matches take place. There is some variation, esp. in the left hand to rifle grip. I shoot off my finger tips while others are able to bear the weight on the heel of their hand only.
Good explanation.

I look forward to more photos and explanations. So different from wing shooting form.

Can one modify the shooting vest to create a “pocket” or shelf to anchor the support arm better?

I look forward to more photos and explanations. So different from wing shooting form.

Can one modify the shooting vest to create a “pocket” or shelf to anchor the support arm better?
No. Vests must be loose and incapable of forming any support. They are mostly for style and pockets. I do not use them but maybe 25-30% do. They usually come from other disciplines.

Here are the trophies that will be handed out for today's rimfire event and the 3-gun aggregate. 180+ shooters have been competeing for 4 days.

Next, I will swap my Marlins for my custom 1885 Winchesters and try to win the 3-day .22 BPCR Nationals in Iron sights. And then the two 2-day Big Bore BPCR Nationals in both Irons and Scope classes.

Not quite 1/2 way home yet.

20240706_165501.jpg

Last edited:
False muzzle?

If so, how does that work with a .22?
It is the equivalent of a backbored barrel. The original 28'' #2 barrel was bored to about 0.60''. Then a 17'' Lilja barrel is turned down and fit inside.

To make up for the missing steel, an under-rib is also fitted to the outside of the barrel.

It is the equivalent of a backbored barrel. The original 28'' #2 barrel was bored to about 0.60''. Then a 17'' Lilja barrel is turned down and fit inside.

To make up for the missing steel, an under-rib is also fitted to the outside of the barrel.
Is that just to retain the longer sight radius?

Is that just to retain the longer sight radius?

No. The 28'' barrel is a fairly standard length.

l originally built this as a schuetzen rifle. The back boring frees the bullet from the barrel more quickly reducing the amount of deviation from the point at which my brain pulls the trigger, presumably landing the bullet closer to the center of the target.

Here is another beauty. I sold all but one of my Ballards,20240708_124733.jpg and this one makes me think I should correct that mistake.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rut
Back