Caribou Gear

Let’s see your historic skulls (bison, Dino, etc)

Schaaf

Always a sucker for finding Bison skulls and often my scouting and hunting days turn into digging dinosaur fossils out of a bank. Share away

This one was in pretty bad shape and I regret digging it out but still cool to find the entire skeleton still there.

ORG_DSC00325.jpeg

Damn cattle broke the rest of this skull apart.IMG_0240.jpeg

Found this one on the way to blowing an antelope stalk. Silver linings and all that.
0EC637E6-5AD3-48EF-B0D9-D54D5735E74E.jpeg

Found this one on a canoe hunt. Just the dry tip of the horn was sticking out of the river.
IMG_0771.jpeg

Found this little guy on a main ridge above the Missouri.
IMG_4658.jpeg

This one might be my favorite, submerged about a mile upstream from where the steamboats used to dock at Fort Benton.
IMG_2079.jpeg

And my favorite fossil picture from a few years back.
IMG_6629.jpeg

Awesome stuff. Finding a bison skull is way up on my list of things I’d love to find

Very cool stuff @Schaaf .

I think I’ve shared this on here before, but I found this buried in the mud of the upper Blackfoot River near where Arrastra Creek drains into it from the north. A mountain bison of yesteryear.

The minute I dug it out of the bank it started falling apart. I took it home and sprayed a bunch of lacquer over its entire surface. It stopped falling apart and has a nice sheen to it.

Something I daydream about is the migrations of yesteryear. Even now, we can see the knowledge of lineages fade from the landscape when migration corridors are developed or blocked. The population loses that passed-down pattern of behavior, never to return again. Bison were every damn where on the landscape it seems, and I wonder if this bison walked over Cadotte or Lewis and Clark pass from a winter in the foothills of The Front, and was on its way to some summering grounds in the upper Blackfoot with its clan. What sort of weird and wild paths were there?

IMG_8744.jpeg

I had one I found years ago in the Gravelly mountains. Was from a big bull. Someone stole it from my garage about 6 years ago. I think there’s still a picture posted here maybe.

Last edited:
I have a cool whale skull I purchased a few years ago, but not certain if it is appropriate to post a picture. Collected on the east coast.

I’ve found two skulls and one horn. First was in the near where I grew up (Eastern MT). It was in a washout about 15 feet deep. The other was this past fall in the western part of the state. Found the horn in the Elkhorns. Will have to see if I can dig up the horn and first skull.

Most recent as I found it. IMG_8674.jpeg
After I dug it out. IMG_8675.jpeg

Last edited:
View attachment 338238
Found these recently, I might go back in there this fall with a hammer and see what is hiding. Pretty good chance the full dinosaur is in there.
Man that is crazy that you just stumbled upon those dinosaur bones. Went to the little museum in Jordan the other day and it was pretty cool to see some of the artifacts and bones they had displayed there.

I'm waiting for the day I find a bison skull buried in the earth when I'm hunting. Until then, the one in my profile picture will suffice. The museum already dug that one out, though.

Last edited:
Finding a bison skull is a dream of mine!!!

Crazy to think that thousands of them would roam where I'm standing less than 200 years ago and that bone collectors picked the prairie clean of their remnants.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jyoder
Back