Let’s see your historic skulls (bison, Dino, etc)

I've found several over the years. Here's one from the river View attachment 338289
I don't remember where I read it, tried looking in a few different books just now with no luck, but I read a passage once that theorized that the sheer amount of bison dying along major rivers artificially inflated the populations of grizzly bears on the prairie. Not that I agree with that, but judging by how many I've found eroding out of the Yellowstone and Missouri banks, I can definitely see the logic.

When I was in elementary school it was a yearly tradition with my great uncle to hop in the jet boat every spring and check out the cut banks along the Missouri.

bison skull copy.jpg
This is the best bison skull I've found. I found it in a tributary of the Milk River in Alberta. Wasn't sure of the legality of getting it across the border so I left tossed it back in the creek. The creek had flooded the spring and we found a dozen skulls and partial skulls that day. Feel free to go back and look for it...

View attachment 338339
This is the best bison skull I've found. I found it in a tributary of the Milk River in Alberta. Wasn't sure of the legality of getting it across the border so I left tossed it back in the creek. The creek had flooded the spring and we found a dozen skulls and partial skulls that day. Feel free to go back and look for it...

I'm not one to ask for honey holes, but in this case I have no shame, location plz? :geek:

The fam and I are looking for an activity next weekend, might make a trip there and look for bones... which is my kids favourite activity... I have piles of deer, moose, cow, horse, etc, bones in the garage, my truck, beach wagon, car seats, etc.

I'm not one to ask for honey holes, but in this case I have no shame, location plz? :geek:

The fam and I are looking for an activity next weekend, might make a trip there and look for bones... which is my kids favourite activity... I have piles of deer, moose, cow, horse, etc, bones in the garage, my truck, beach wagon, car seats, etc.
And deny you the thrill of discovery? I will say it was within a day's walk from the US border with Alberta. It was before 2001, so one could do so in those days without triggering predator drones launching missiles at you.

I don't remember where I read it, tried looking in a few different books just now with no luck, but I read a passage once that theorized that the sheer amount of bison dying along major rivers artificially inflated the populations of grizzly bears on the prairie. Not that I agree with that, but judging by how many I've found eroding out of the Yellowstone and Missouri banks, I can definitely see the logic.

I read that too, may have been American Serengeti by Dan Flores? I can't put my finger on it...

I love museums.
Spent days in the Smithsonian & history museum in DC.

Mom got on my case for getting a buzz cut one hot summer in the 80's. Only other one was in basic.
She just said please don't ever do that again. You have a badly misshapen head now, full of scars.
We both laughed. She said stick it in a museum.

One of the coolest finds I've made was an Audubon Big Horn Sheep skull I found in North Dakota in the late 70's while hunting coyotes.

I donated it to The Museum of the Rockies, about 40 years ago. I was told there were fewer than a dozen of them in existence. I don't even know if I have a photograph of it...
I have two, one I found in SE MT and the other my great grand father found in the 20's. To bad he left it on a screen porch for 70 years.

Please forgive me as this is likely a ridiculous question from someone who's always lived east of the Mississippi, but how common is it to find bison skulls in the west?

I have found at least a half dozen bison skulls and a big horn sheep skull in SE MT. I will have to look for pictures, Lots of dino fossils where I live, it is just digging down to them that is the hard part.
In high school I found a sheep skull in a popular Eastern Montana state park. Let me tell you about the internal struggle I faced walking away from that thing 😬

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rut
Back