Keep the noise down please, its almost deer season.

Tom

Judge orders man to keep quiet during hunting season
Associated Press

ITALY, Texas - An Ellis County man has been ordered by a judge to keep the noise down on his property during deer season after he was found guilty of a misdemeanor charge of disrupting hunters.

An Ellis County jury found Galen Morris, 38, guilty on Tuesday of violating one count of the state Sportsman's Rights Act. He was found not guilty of a second, similar charge.

The judge in the case ordered Morris to make sure his children don't disturb hunters on a neighboring property by playing loud music or driving four-wheelers before noon or after 4 p.m. during deer season, which starts in November. Morris was also issued a $250 fine and a year of probation.

"I kind of got mixed feelings out of it," Morris said. "Basically what they're saying is, during deer season you got to keep your kids indoors. You could sneeze and scare a deer off."

The Sportsman's Rights Act makes it illegal "to intentionally interfere with another person lawfully engaged in the process of hunting or catching wildlife."

Peggy Carroll, part owner of a ranch neighboring the Morris property, said the court's decision is fair. She said she hopes the noise restrictions and threat of jail time will keep it quiet for the hunters who use her land.

But Morris' lawyer, Waxahachie attorney Mark Griffith, said he's advising his client to appeal.

"This is just unbelievable to me," Griffith said. "This is really about what rights do you have on your own property."

...no 4 wheelers before noon or after 4 p.m. would incapacitate most Texas deer hunters Tom.;)

This is just unbelievable to me," Griffith said. "This is really about what rights do you have on your own property."

couldnt agree more!
its another issue about letting his kids run around while its gun season....not too good of an idea.,

The judge in the case ordered Morris to make sure his children don't disturb hunters on a neighboring property by playing loud music or driving four-wheelers before noon or after 4 p.m. during deer season, which starts in November
another typical excuse for someone on why they didnt see any deer.
[Bubba]"did you see anything?[Billybob]"....no, not with those damned kids making all that noise".

it wouldnt have anything to do with his hunting skills!

"only in Texas"

I have to agree... mainly because Texas is about the only state where you have all the hunting done on private land. One neighbor is a rancher or just lives outside of town making his/her living in the city and his neighbor has a hunting preserve in which he flys millionaires into hunt on his land. Ya just don't see that in every sate. Maybe parts of CO but in Texas things are different. I am on the fence of the issue though. My wifes uncle has a beef farm that's next to a fenced hunting ranch. If he goes out and fires up his tractor to work his land he could be in violation of that law when all he's doing is trying to make a living. So in that case the law is BS. But when he goes hunting he sure doesn't want to have the Sierra Club folks having no laws stopping them from interfering with their hunt. I guess it's a fine line to walk. I think I'd just have said it a bit different... typical of Texas.

cmc

They were doing oil and gas exploration out where I hunt this year before the season. They shut it down by opening of gun season this month though. They must not have discovered any, I hope, anyway.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jg722
Back