Kansas Unit 4 (Corps of Engineers)

kyledoskocil

Hello, I was wondering if anyone in here had information on Unit 4 in Kansas specifically the Corps of Engineers area by Kanopolis Lake. It looks like on Ks website this area is open to public hunting but it’s hard to tell on OnX due to a fairly good mix of private land mixed in to the access points.

Has anyone hunted this area or had success or for a public DIY hunt in Kansas as a non resident is there a better area to look?

Thanks for the advice!

Take a look at the hunting atlas online. You can find all the publicly accessible areas in Kansas on it. PM me if you have any more in depth questions about the state... I've hunted all over the state in various walk in units.

Be mindful of the rather large refuge areas on the upper lake. (This applies to many impoundments in Kansas) Specific dates will have closure to all activities. OnX shows this area as a "permit area". This closure might apply to both land and water areas. There is a "special hunts" program in Kansas where if you draw, you might be allowed access to normally off limit areas such as refuges. I think the idea is to offer a lucky person a more unpressured area to hunt, while keeping the deer/ducks/geese on their toes about what really is a "refuge".

GPS mapping services should have these areas noted. Further away from the lake itself will be Corp of Engineer lands, and KDWP hunting areas. Corp lands tend to not be well represented with signs, KDWP signage tends to be better.

Currently most of Kansas is suffering from significant drought conditions. Shorelines are quite far from treeline/traditional shoreline which can significantly alter bedding and travel strategies for deer and fowl.

Take note that the main water source for Kanopolis, the Smokey Hill river (and many other Kansas lakes) will likely be dicey to wade across at the lowest of water times, with a completely invisible bottom due to turbidity of the water.

Kenetrek Boots

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rut
Back