In Montana NR Hunters secured over 85,000 hunting licences.

I find it ironic that every state loathes NR hunters and most of the people who are griping are/have been/or will be a NR hunter sometime in their life. I am no different.
I dont loathe them. I grew up in Wy but ive only started to buy points there.

I imagine if you had your local hobbies diminished by outsiders who dont understand your culture - inspite of state law thats crafted specifically to limit that - it might make you feel different.

Montana assigns every license holder a unique ALS number. It would be nice to see how many unique ALS numbers actually hit the field. That’d be much more helpful.
A real meaningful change (IMO) would be mandatory reporting. Details could be worked out simply enough, but the department (or others) fight this every session. Wondering why??????????

$$$...

Residents don't like it start coughing up a reasonable resident fee. Until then, keep sucking the non-resident teat.

I want more revenue. I want quality wardens and biologists. I want them to know they're paid adequately for their responsibilities as state employees.

I want adequate aerial coverage for counts, I want better surveys for population identification, as a few examples.

$$$.

The funny thing about this article is this information hasn’t necessarily been hid people just don’t care or know where to look. To me the entire thing is more like click bait it just keeps turning it into a r/nr problem when our problems are much bigger than that

You always so nice on saturday night?
Randy and company put every nonresident and western Montanan resident on one side of the state. So yes I’m that nice on a Sunday as well. Not only are those numbers bad but hunters have been congregated as well. They either didn’t have the foresight that would happen or they didn’t care.

Randy and company put every nonresident and western Montanan resident on one side of the state. So yes I’m that nice on a Sunday as well. Not only are those numbers bad but hunters have been congregated as well. They either didn’t have the foresight that would happen or they didn’t care.
I haven’t been west of billing in almost 10 years

I have no beef with nr and would like to be a nr hunter in most western states at some point. Although overall nr tag numbers are definitely too high, my biggest heartburn with the situation is that it’s completely unregulated where they hunt. If 5 of 7 regions are doing poorly, tags numbers are unchanged and every nr hunter can pile into those regions with a major focus on hammering public/bma. It’s really no different with residents too but that’s an even bigger obstacle to overcome.

I haven’t been west of billing in almost 10 ye
Trust me on this. There's still not close to every Western Montana Hunter going east. Yet! I haven't been any farther than Far Western Montana in 30 years to hunt. There's thousands like me here.

Last edited:
Oh yeah? Since leaving Montana in 2000 I've hunted deer East of Missoula 3 times and don't plan to again anytime soon.

Oh yeah? Since leaving Montana in 2000 I've hunted deer East of Missoula 3 times and don't plan to again anytime soon.
Obviously there are people like you and shoots straight but there has been a major shift in pressure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back Tracker
Back