In Montana NR Hunters secured over 85,000 hunting licences.

Montana generally pays well below the national average for most professions, public or private. It's always been a place where your extra salary is made for by the "scenery tax."

It's also why public land hunters are fiercely defiant of attempts to privatize the resource. If your best benefit on your job is 2 weeks in elk camp, then god help the poor bastard that tries to take that away from the people.

I convinced my wife of 46 years to relocate to Montana, while pregnant with our first child. We left good jobs, and took a leap of faith.

The chance to hunt big game EVERY fall, and perhaps draw a tag for MSG. Outside of the sheep tag, I've had a chance to do everything else. What is that worth...hard to say. I do know it has been worth a damn lot.

You are correct that many Montana hunters fully realize what we have, and want it sustained far into the future.

What I don't understand, maybe is my southern up bringing, why the hell don't theses western states have any/better harvest reporting programs? They clearly generate enough rev every year to be able implement a decent program. Hell here in SC turkey and deer harvest report is mandatory, you have to use an app. No phone calls, no you might get a survey card, ect. Real data biologist can use....

You get:

A territory the size as some states

People shooting at you whether they know you are there or not

On call 24-7

People will complain if you get a new truck to replace the one with 179,000 miles - about 20% of which are from pavement, and only 20% of the remaining were on decent gravel roads.

Someone calling you to take care of the snake in their front yard.

Ticketing drunk college kids on the river (ok, maybe not the best, but not the worst benefit)

Nobody is ever happy to see you, unless they called you. Even then, it's 90% certain they'll be pissed.

Next time you see a warden, go talk to them. In the same way it is good to know your local biologist, it is good to know your local warden.

I know some on here have had negative experiences, but the one warden I personally know is salt of the earth, and really a foundation of the community. Of course wardens enforce the game laws of Montana, but they also serve as critical ambassadors between hunters and landowners, assist local and understaffed law enforcement on non-game things when the shit is real, and they are an important source of information regarding the pulse of many different local issues.

They sure as chit should be paid more.

Next time you see a warden, go talk to them. In the same way it is good to know your local biologist, it is good to know your local warden.

I know some on here have had negative experiences, but the one warden I personally know is salt of the earth, and really a foundation of the community. Of course wardens enforce the game laws of Montana, but they also serve as critical ambassadors between hunters and landowners, assist local and understaffed law enforcement on non-game things when the shit is real, and they are an important source of information regarding the pulse of many different local issues.

They sure as chit should be paid more.

The last warden we had down here was a really good guy. He ended up transferring to billings area now. Haven’t had the chance to meet the new one yet but will at some point this year for tagging cats

Kenetrek Boots

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jg722
Back