Caribou Gear

Ice chest rack ideas

MaddH

Any ideas on what to use to keep my game meat out of the water in an ice chest ?

I was thinking baking racks but wasn’t sure how sturdy they would be.

My second cousin keeps a small chest freezer that doesn't work and throws the baskets that came with it upside-down onto of dry ice and puts the quarters on top of a chunk of cardboard that lays on the racks. I guess that really isn't an answer to your question, but it's cheaper and works better than about anything else I've seen.

Make sure to pre-cool your cooler. We used to put a block or two of dry ice (depending on cooler size) in the night before packing up. The next morning the frozen bottles would go straight from the freezer to the cooler with the cooler lid open as little as possible. We would then pack all the space between the bottles with crushed ice. I have had ice last with very minimal melting for up to 10 days during Central Wyoming archery seasons doing it this way.

Once you are successful with your hunt, make sure the meat is cooled as much as possible before putting it into the cooler, don't want to waste all that effort you put into making sure the ice made it through the hunt.

How you prep and pack the cooler is just as important as what you put in the cooler.

ETA: if you have access to a walk in freezer, leave the cooler in there over night with the lid open and all your ice already packed in. We would also add salt to the ice around the bottles if we really needed to drop the temp.

ETA 2: The cooler with the ice in it only gets opened once an animal is ready to go into it.

For shorter term hunts, where game is stored for a week or less inside the cooler on ice, we vacuum seal deboned meat. The meat is in the largest chunks and bags we can fit in the cooler until we can process it further at home. Then lay it directly on top of the ice, and keep the cooler closed until we reach home. If we have extra ice it goes on top of the meat. The cooler is prefilled to the top with ice. Have brought home multiple elk, deer, and birds this way with zero issues. The meat is sealed so it never touches the ice directly or deals with water from the ice melting.

I like the Gatorade gallon jugs thicker plastic and better fitting caps then milk jugs and less likely to crack plus they're fairly square. Line the bottom of the cooler with the frozen jugs meat in a game bag on top then ice over that. Drain it once a day and your meat should never be soaking in ice water.

Fill your cooler with ice early and then again before you go. Pre-chilling makes a big difference. Are you using a rotomolded cooler?
3 rotomolded and two igloo. Need to fit a cow bison. Only need to cool the meat in the field and overnight before getting it to the butcher. Will qtr the animal and debone ribs, neck, etc. Thenafter processing I’ll put dry ice for trip home. Just going to be hot in the field and need to cool the meat down

3 rotomolded and two igloo. Need to fit a cow bison. Only need to cool the meat in the field and overnight before getting it to the butcher. Will qtr the animal and debone ribs, neck, etc. Thenafter processing I’ll put dry ice for trip home. Just going to be hot in the field and need to cool the meat down
I'd pack the rotomolded coolers completely full with all of your ice, and then not open them until it is time to take ice out and distribute it across your other coolers. Those igloos won't keep your ice cold for 3 days.

Piggy backing on Elky’s advice. Pack frozen jugs in rotomolded coolers and leave them
closed. Pack the igloos with as much ice as possible.

Try to save one to keep closed as well and have one for food and drinks. Pre chill all drinks, etc. If I’m bringing bottled water and sports drinks I’ll freeze half of them to also help.

Bow season here in TX temps are still in the 90’s and even well into November. These methods have helped me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidbow512
Back