Sitka Gear Optifade Cover

I160, what are your thoughts

Sytes, I had a 4 coil #3 Bridger, clamp down on my thumb last December. It was -10F out. It hurt, it did turn my thumbnail black. It didn't cut me at all. I usually check my traps a min of every other day. Most people feel that every 72hrs would be enough. I don't think it matters to the anti's though. Nothing but elimination will be acceptable.

You can't waste any fur bearing animal. It carries the same punishment as wasting a big game animal. There are also many other regulations on the books. Like distance away from trails and trail heads.

Sytes - In MT, I thought we have a 24 hour check rule, but just realized we don't. Thanks for the correction, Robert.

I don't know of people who eat the meat of what they trap. Usually utilize the fur, the castors on beaver, and maybe claws or skulls.

In addition to pelts, a lot of trapping is for nuisance animals. All it takes is one energetic beaver to convert a forest of silver maples into a clearing, and my phone rings with all the suburbanites who suddenly only like beaver they see on the television.

Or skunks, or raccoons, or .........

Trapping is very misunderstood. Too bad. I paid for much of my college trapping bobcats and beaver. Trapping requires a serious amount of skill and planning to do it right.

Unfortunately, as Buzz mentioned, a few knuckleheads will go out and try it without having a clue what they are doing. I agree that the time has come for a mandatory Trapper Education class. I would probably attend, just for what I would learn.

It is interesting to hear how people think that a trap kills the animal by smashing limbs, etc. It does not. The purpose of a trap is to contain and restrain the animal until you arrive. It squeezes the pad of their foot, cutting off circulation, and holding them there. Guys who use too big of a trap will sometimes have a catch too high on the leg, and the entire foot may be in a trap.

I have purposefully put my hand in a #2 trap, just to show folks that I will not lose my arm at the shoulder. Nope. It will squeeze against the back and palm of my hand.

I know of no instance where a human has been injured by a trap. Might have happened somewhere, but I have never heard of it.

Usually not one for the "Circle the wagons" kind of rallying cry, but on this one I am. Trappers really are not any different than hunters, other than they are more of a minority in our society. Anyone who thinks this is not a way to gain favor and attention by those who would like to see trapping and hunting restricted or eliminated, has not studied the track record of these groups in other states.

Sure hope it did not get enough signatures. If it did, whether the initiative passes or not, it is an indication of either the demographic trends of my beloved state, or a reflection of the ignorance by those who live here............or a combination of both.

Last edited:
In NY where I grew up (Buffalo) they require a trappers education certificate before you can buy a license. I took it over 20 years ago and found it interesting, but I would have to take it again if I wanted to start trapping.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back Tracker
Back