Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Hunting by yourself

I would try to line up someone to pack one out. You don't want to start making phone calls when you realize you can't pack it out on your back. At lot of things can go wrong, it's best to plan for the worse.

I would try to line up someone to pack one out. You don't want to start making phone calls when you realize you can't pack it out on your back. At lot of things can go wrong, it's best to plan for the worse.
I have been looking but not finding anyone

No hate but you may want to reconsider going if you’re not prepared to quarter and pack an elk out on your own. It’s not worth the meat spoil or you getting in any legal trouble.

Join a conservation club and befriend some folks that can teach you the ropes.
Thanks for the info

... learn to field dress an Elk and get it out by yourself?
I have hunted solo mostly. Best advice is take your time, keep meat clean, break elk down into pieces you can lift and handle. Always have sharp knives, sharpening stone, steel, small saw, rope, paracord, tarp, good backpack, game bags, and first aid kit. (It's so easy to knick a finger.) With snow, a plastic sled with cross ties along edges to tightly strap in meat is very helpful ... even on dry ground. When starting, tie legs and feet so as not to flop and kick you. Use gravity to move stuff you don't want away from carcass.
Mtmuley has great advice:
"Easy. Then peel the hide side to side as you remove quarters. Peel the neck and the rest of the trim. Backstrap last. Always have a small tarp or piece if tyvek. mtmuley"

There are many ways to do it. Here is how I did it. There are YouTube videos for everything.

1. Sharp knife and field sharpener. Become proficient in using the sharpener before you hunt. When cutting up the animal, stop and sharpen the knife every time it starts to become dull.

2. Cut the part of the hide off that is facing up. Poke the tip of the knife just under the skin, and slice upward in the direction the hair is growing. This prevents the knife edge from severing hairs which dulls the blade and makes a mess of the meat.

3. Cut all the visible meat off of the bones, and place on a tarp. There is a special technique to make a small incision under the ribs to reach in and remove the tenderloin - no substitute for practice on this, but a good video in advance is better than nothing.

4. Flip the carcass over - it’s not so tough w/ 1/2 of the meat removed.

5. Repeat removing hide and meat on side 2.

6. Split up the meat into game bags and hang them in a cool shady place. If you are in grizzly county, there is a LOT more involved to keep the meat out of reach from the bears. I split the bull elk into 5 trips - I’m a 5’11” 180 lb male. If you are female and have a smaller body, you will have a much easier time splitting the meat into more bags for lighter loads. A rule of thumb is a total pack weight of 1/3 of your body weight or less.

7. Store packed-out elk meat in a cool dry place.

If elk dies on a steep slope, tie the carcass to a tree or rock so it does not slide around when you are working on it.

Realistically speaking, DO NOT kill an elk unless you are confident that you can remove the meat and pack it all out without spoiling any meat. There are cringeworthy tales posted on this site of meat loss due to inadequate preparation, lack of skills, and lack of fitness.

If you do adequate prep and are confident that you can break an elk down and pack it out, still don’t hesitate to post on here if you want packing help after you’ve cut one up. Many forum members will be in the area this fall, myself included, and might be able to lend a hand.

In my mind I gain nothing from gutless. I am of an advanced age and gutted my first elk at 13 years old. Just how I do it. mtmuley

I was that way for a long time. I first tried the gutless by cutting down the spine like you see posted everywhere but it just felt super awkward for me. Then I tried it by going up the belly like I normally would but without opening the cavity up and it was much better. Saves a little time and mess and you can still get all the goodies that you like. But I get it, old habits are tough to break

Serious question...It seems like a lot of people's reasoning for doing the gutless method is to get the hide off to cool down the animal quickly. Wouldn't opening up the animal and removing all the guts cool it down much faster? There's a ton of heat in there.

I've done both but grew up gutting and I'm with @mtmuley and @Straight Arrow, I can get an animal gutted in about 10 minutes. Then start peeling the hide and breaking down the animal.

Seems like the best of both worlds and cooling it down much faster.

There are many ways to do it. Here is how I did it. There are YouTube videos for everything.

1. Sharp knife and field sharpener. Become proficient in using the sharpener before you hunt. When cutting up the animal, stop and sharpen the knife every time it starts to become dull.

2. Cut the part of the hide off that is facing up. Poke the tip of the knife just under the skin, and slice upward in the direction the hair is growing. This prevents the knife edge from severing hairs which dulls the blade and makes a mess of the meat.

3. Cut all the visible meat off of the bones, and place on a tarp. There is a special technique to make a small incision under the ribs to reach in and remove the tenderloin - no substitute for practice on this, but a good video in advance is better than nothing.

4. Flip the carcass over - it’s not so tough w/ 1/2 of the meat removed.

5. Repeat removing hide and meat on side 2.

6. Split up the meat into game bags and hang them in a cool shady place. If you are in grizzly county, there is a LOT more involved to keep the meat out of reach from the bears. I split the bull elk into 5 trips - I’m a 5’11” 180 lb male. If you are female and have a smaller body, you will have a much easier time splitting the meat into more bags for lighter loads. A rule of thumb is a total pack weight of 1/3 of your body weight or less.

7. Store packed-out elk meat in a cool dry place.

If elk dies on a steep slope, tie the carcass to a tree or rock so it does not slide around when you are working on it.

Realistically speaking, DO NOT kill an elk unless you are confident that you can remove the meat and pack it all out without spoiling any meat. There are cringeworthy tales posted on this site of meat loss due to inadequate preparation, lack of skills, and lack of fitness.

If you do adequate prep and are confident that you can break an elk down and pack it out, still don’t hesitate to post on here if you want packing help after you’ve cut one up. Many forum members will be in the area this fall, myself included, and might be able to lend a hand.
Thank you great info. I have two days to hunt on the elk refuge in October

One of the big things a partner helps with is holding legs so you can focus on cutting. I bring paracord and try to tie legs off to trees so they don't keep flopping around. Since you'll be on the elk refuge you can call Tag and Drag. I'd give them a call before you hunt to make sure they can help you. What time of year are you hunting the refuge?

Where in Wyoming?

If you're near me, I might be able to help.

I don't mean to be rude, but are you talking 2024? It's a little late to be looking for a guide to "come along" and join you.

Have you planned and prepared to go elk hunting with the right equipment etc..?

Like Elktrack says, "It's just like a deer only bigger." Waaaaaay bigger!!! To field dress an elk by yourself you'll need to figure out how to position one hind leg away from the body to give yourself enough room to start gutting it. As the elk stiffens it will be almost impossible by yourself. You're better off going the "Alaskan" or the guttless method by just removing the quarters, backstrap and tenderloins. Plan on several pack trips.

If it's snowing or if it's dark it will be even more challenging and dangerous.

Watch videos showing how to field dress an elk.
I have been looking for a bit. Yes I have the right equipment as far as equipment, clothing, scent, skinning, cleaning as I know it

One of the big things a partner helps with is holding legs so you can focus on cutting. I bring paracord and try to tie legs off to trees so they don't keep flopping around. Since you'll be on the elk refuge you can call Tag and Drag. I'd give them a call before you hunt to make sure they can help you. What time of year are you hunting the refuge?
October thanks for the info on tag and drag

Havalon has eliminated my need to waste time sharpening knives while cleaning an elk. Only draw back are the finger cut I get from razor sharp knives.

I’ve cleaned a lot of elk and it still takes me two hours to break one down by myself.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Calico kid
Back