Caribou Gear Tarp

How do you volunteer in your Community?

Where do you donate your time in your community?

• Schools (PTA or School Board)

Votes: 11 17.5%
  • Sports (coaching or sponsoring)

Votes: 31 49.2%
  • Public Safety ( Volunteer fire, Search and Rescue, )

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • Food ( foodbank, Meals on Wheels)

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • Elder care

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Foster parent or Mentorship

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Vocational Training (FFA or 4H, Job skills training)

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Community Fraternal organization ( Lions, Elks, Moose, Rotary, Masons, Etc)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Armed forces reserve

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • I don't do anything unless I get paid and it benefits me personally....

Votes: 10 15.9%

• Total voters
I’ve coached a lot of kid sports - baseball, football, rifle team and helped with Boy Scouts.

9 years on the school board with 8 years as board chair.

Did a long stint with Habitat for Humanity.

I’ve been on several conservation boards and continue to do so.

I probably forgot a few things. Busy busy.

My volunteer time is spent on 2 primary things, conservation board chair and union president, steward, and legislative chair.

I can claim official time for my union work, but more often than not it's time I volunteer. Just too much to do for my regular job with not enough people to get it done.

I volunteer at the local ice rink. Lots of stuff going on there and lots of help needed (ice sports are expensive as-is, and would be untenable for most without significant volunteer efforts keeping costs lower). It's been a great way to meet people and do something good for the next generation.

I am a Rotarian and treasurer of a local Rotary club. Rotary has a lot of direct volunteering and it leads to other involvement. End up with a lot of other community involvement and volunteering due to the business I own/work at as well.

I am also a board member and treasurer of a statewide conservation org. Not member based and no fundraising/banquets which I like. Get to do cool things around the state of Idaho and involvement in impactful projects that most people don't know about.

I've been on several HOA boards, that is some thankless service. During my active working years I helped establish and led our county's suicide prevention coalition. In my younger days I was heavily involved in community radio, proud to have helped establish KBUT in Crested Butte and KAFM in Grand Junction, both still rockin'. Did a lot of community theater, mostly volunteer. 25 years as a volunteer with state Vizsla rescue org, adopted 3 along the way. Lately more wildlife oriented things, 4 years on CPW Sportspersons' Roundtable. Last summer, this:

I’ll speculate that volunteerism is a luxury I don’t think many younger folks can indulge in. The age group you’re concerned about came into adulthood during exceptionally turbulent economic times, doesn’t have much stability, and has mostly been struggling with finding homes, stable careers, and finding partners.

I somewhat agree, but mostly disagree.

On one-hand it is a luxury, and when I think of the volunteers I work with, it does skew a bit older. That said, the fact is essentially everyone I know who volunteers is just as busy as anyone else. The young volunteers I know are just as busy as the young people who say they can’t. The old ones I know often own businesses and volunteer in other venues and are just as busy as everyone else.

They just believe in volunteering more and act in accordance with that belief.

It’s about what one prioritizes, and I don’t say that in a holier than thou manner, and if I could I would actually caution myself from 10 years ago about not committing to too many things - because it costs you and your family and can take a toll. The needs are so significant and prevalent it can be tough to set boundaries.

I know more people working two jobs than ever before. Time is a luxury

Well some of that may be true it’s just giving an excuse. We have at least half our board with kids with many on there for a few years and none of my guys at work fall into those other categories.

I am a firm believer people for the vast majority of the country are not raised with a work ethic to volunteer especially if they are not getting some kind of kickback in return.

I grew up my grandparents were on the board of trout unlimited and local fishing groups. My dad was on the board of local fishing groups and helped coach. It was taught that you give back. I would venture to think I’m not the only one like this regardless of conservation, coaching, humanitarian or civic volunteering.

I teach Royal Rangers ( sort of like scouts ) in my church on Wednesday nights. We start with pledge of allegiance and then usually have some sort of a Bible lesson and then work on outdoor and life skills. Recent examples are learning gun safety, map and compass orienteering, and how to sharpen axes and hatchets.

25 years Hunter’s Education, 17 years Optimist club, 5 years guiding youth Antelope hunters…

I am a firm believer people for the vast majority of the country are not raised with a work ethic to volunteer especially if they are not getting some kind of kickback in return.
To you and @Nameless Range’s points, I do think that we are coming from a successful middle to upper class perspective, which encourages and values volunteerism in a way that many people who are struggling simply can’t. I wasn’t saying they think they’re too busy, and don’t really disagree with much of Nameless’s points, because I think we’re talking about some different people. I don’t think it is a matter of work ethic though, and disagree with the above statement: there’s a lot of younger people who are working very hard just to stay afloat. They are good people who care very much about the people around them, but working a couple jobs and trying to raise their families simply doesn’t make it possible for them to even consider volunteering. I’m in no place to judge them for that.

Again to @Nameless Range , I agree, “priorities” is probably a better way to put it when we are talking about the same class of people, and my point about those I’ve noticed with younger kids serving single terms and stepping off is that they are probably stretching it too thin and need to rebalance the priorities.

To you, @wa_archer I hope this thread gives you some hope that there’s actually quite a few folks out there that still care!

It's interesting how it varies. I was a steward at my previous company. That was all volunteer. Same local but different companies some guys get paid full time to just be the steward. All of our staff has two pensions but that's because one is local and one is international.

I pick up litter.
When I go to shoot at the local gravel pit, I return with a pickup bed
full of shot up TVs, Freezers, propane tanks, paper targets, etc.

When I hike the local trails, I come back with a pack full of beer cans, etc.

Picking up litter is my "personal fee" for the privilege to use these amazing places.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacksoncsalmon
Back