Yeti GOBOX Collection

Hiking poles

johnnybow

I got some aluminum trekking poles that seem too noisy when I'm hiking with them. Do I need to learn how to use them more quietly or just upgrade to a better pole? Thanks

Is it the tips striking rocks that is too noisy, or the poles themselves rubbing against brush/legs/boots/etc?

If it is just the tips, buy some of the rubber "exercise" tip caps, I run them on one set of my hiking poles just to prevent that sharp impact noise on some of the hard rocks.

Agree with Jeeper!!
I just purchased a new pair of Trekology Trek-Z collapsible. They came with four different rubber tips. The aluminum poles will hit on large rocks, but that can't be helped sometimes. Slowing down a bit may help if maneuvering through these areas.

For me it's usually the tips hitting on the rocks. You just have to be a bit more careful with them, even if that means slowing down a bit.

Wood sticks work very well; dead aspens carved out have a nice, silent thud that's harder to hear than any pole on the market. If you can get to a thrift store out west, sort through their ski poles. I found a great set of cross-country ski poles that are solid graphite and fit me perfectly for $5/pair.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jg722
Back