Here comes Utah YET AGAIN

At yet at the same time every house being built is huge and on multiple acres.
Developers in MT claim there's no $$$ to be made building starter homes. Even the cookie cutter small lot homes popping up are all built with high end finishes. HGTV makes everyone think they need quartz counter tops, stainless steel appliances, and tile everything for their first home. No matter how much government land Utah want's to gobble up, housing will never be affordable if homes aren't built with affordable materials.

Developers in MT claim there's no $$$ to be made building starter homes. Even the cookie cutter small lot homes popping up are all built with high end finishes. HGTV makes everyone think they need quartz counter tops, stainless steel appliances, and tile everything for their first home. No matter how much government land Utah want's to gobble up, housing will never be affordable if homes aren't built with affordable materials.
They are right though. If you can mark up a 500k home and a 250k home - and the 500k home sells, why build a 250k home?

In an email Tuesday, University of Utah law professor John Ruple agreed with some of the governor’s sentiment, telling Utah News Dispatch there is room for improvement when it comes to how federal land is managed.

“However, the U.S. Constitution is clear that Congress, not the individual states, makes decisions about our federal public lands,” said Ruple, a research professor of law at the university’s S.J. Quinney College of Law, and director of the Wallace Stegner Center for Land, Resources and the Environment’s Law and Policy Program.

To rule in Utah’s favor, Ruple said the Supreme Court would have to reinterpret longstanding constitutional provisions, upsetting “150 years of settled Supreme Court law and destabilizing land ownership throughout the West.”

“That’s a big lift. I can’t help but wonder whether a less adversarial approach would have been more
I always find it interesting that states never offer to purchase the land from the federal government. Every western politician that brings this up seems to ignore the Louisiana purchase.

So, like cardboard boxes?

I always find it interesting that states never offer to purchase the land from the federal government. Every western politician that brings this up seems to ignore the Louisiana purchase.
When France sold land they didn’t own?

They are right though. If you can mark up a 500k home and a 250k home - and the 500k home sells, why build a 250k home?
I don't disagree. That's the problem. There is no incentive for developers to build starter homes. Another example of a class of people being left behind.

I don't disagree. That's the problem. There is no incentive for developers to build starter homes. Another example of a class of people being left behind.
Profit isn’t an incentive? Or do they need a government handout too?

Profit isn’t an incentive? Or do they need a government handout too?
Profit is the incentive, that's why they build high end homes. I sure don't know the answer, but I doubt it's gov't intervention.

How are you going to build a 250K home these days? Ain't happening. mtmuley
Was just talking in general - not necessarily specific numbers.

Theres more money in marking up higher cost properties. Those properties continue to sell. No reason to build cheaper from a market perspective. You dont see a lot of 1000-1500 sq ft homes with low cost specs on small lots getting developed

Was just talking in general - not necessarily specific numbers.

Theres more money in marking up higher cost properties. Those properties continue to sell. No reason to build cheaper from a market perspective. You dont see a lot of 1000-1500 sq ft homes with low cost specs on small lots getting developed
Nope. Not anymore. And I doubt it will come back. mtmuley

Politicians both parties: we need to be likable and relatable to the general public

Republicans: the land that you recreate and enjoy family time on, should be liquidated so that the Mormon church can add billions of dollars to their billions of dollars

Democrats: that dude with the 7 inch hairy @#)(# should compete against and shower next to your 17-year-old daughter in high school
And you shouldn’t complain, because you need to be working, as the $35,000 in income taxes you’ve paid isn’t near enough
Public lands = #landback and solar potential.

Both: sorry that you’re struggling but we are canceling hot lunch at middle school, there are three-year-olds with brown skin somewhere in the Middle East that we know will grow up to be terrorists, and we need the funds to vaporize them with state of the art weaponry

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jg722
Back